A few problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few problems

Hello again all you lovely people. Im having a few problems with the surf and am looking for some advice again.

1) After not usig the truck for a while ive taken it offroad and found the 4WD has stoped engaing. When you press the button the prop the the front diff locks up so you cant turn it but the drive shafts to the front wheels can still sin freely. The dash light does not come on and i have tried driving forwards and backwards many times to free it up. The vacuum hose goin into the front diff has vacuum but theres no vacuum coming from the other pipe. Any ideas on how to free it up?

2) When i put my foot on the brake it would ot let me take the gear lever out of park and the brake lights do not come on, Im guessing this will be the switch on the top off the pedal. Is this a pain to replace?

Many thanx in advance i wil be paying my subs again now i using the surf again but im affraid it wont be for two weeks when im next paid.
    Surfin on the tidal waves of mud!

Brake lights might be switch, broken wire or fuse.
    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Vac pipes around the VSV's on the inner wing for the 4WD and fuse or bulb(s) for the brake lights.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
        Vac pipes around the VSV's on the inner wing for the 4WD and fuse or bulb(s) for the brake lights.
        Ive got vacuum at the front dif. And the brake pedal is also not releasing the gear lever from park so could that still be the fuse?

Comment

Hey! you can use yer wee red button to get it out of park.

Lucky you.
          Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by YoungOffroader View Post
            And the brake pedal is also not releasing the gear lever from park so could that still be the fuse?
            Any problem with the brake lights circuit will cause that failsafe circuitry to kick in.

Regarding 4WD, can you hear the motor on the transfer case whirring for a second or two when you select 4WD? Is 4WD working if you pop the stubby gear lever in the L4 position?

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
              Hey! you can use yer wee red button to get it out of park.

Lucky you.
              Yer ive been using the wee red button all day today. ive now sorted the brakes. It was the switch had just got stuck in so a bit of WD40 freed it off

Comment

Any problem with the brake lights circuit will cause that failsafe circuitry to kick in.

Regarding 4WD, can you hear the motor on the transfer case whirring for a second or two when you select 4WD? Is 4WD working if you pop the stubby gear lever in the L4 position?
                I can hear the transfer case make a clicky clunky noise then it locks the front propshaft from the transfer case and i get the same when moving the lever into L4 position

This is why i love this site you can gte such quick and helpfull advice on here.

Comment

Check all of your vac pipes then. One or more of those will most likely be the cause. Had pretty much the exact same symptoms myself a while back due to some perished hoses.

Comment

Check all of your vac pipes then. One or more of those will most likely be the cause. Had pretty much the exact same symptoms myself a while back due to some perished hoses.
                    you know you have 2 vac pies goin to the front dif. Is 1 vacuum to it and the other vacuum from it?

Comment

you know you have 2 vac pies goin to the front dif. Is 1 vacuum to it and the other vacuum from it?
                      If I remember correctly, the vacuum switches between those to engage/disengage the yoke, so you should have vacuum on one pipe for 4WD engaged and then the other for disengaged.

Comment

If I remember correctly, the vacuum switches between those to engage/disengage the yoke, so you should have vacuum on one pipe for 4WD engaged and then the other for disengaged.

That would make sense then. ie got vacuum at the dif then. is there any way of takig the bits apart o the dif to try and free them up as theres plenty of vacuum there its just not doing what ever it should be doing.

Comment

Get it on a decent stretch of straight road and pop it into 4WD, (via the switch, not L4). It'll most likely sort itself. Don't go too fast, obviously, and pop it straight back out of 4WD once it engages.

Comment

Get it on a decent stretch of straight road and pop it into 4WD, (via the switch, not L4). It'll most likely sort itself. Don't go too fast, obviously, and pop it straight back out of 4WD once it engages.
                            ive got to nip to town to get some fuel so i wil try that now, i will say how it went wen i get back.

Comment

ive got to nip to town to get some fuel so i wil try that now, i will say how it went wen i get back.

It jus made the clonk noise of the front prop starting to turn but still no 4WD. tried a few times aswell everyime the same.

Comment

Working...
                              X