I has smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I has smoke

Noticed today my truck is smoking a wee bit, smells a bit of burning oil too. As it's black smoke and there's an oily smell, my diagnosis is that the turbo seals are on their way out. Anyone got any other ideas as to what may be causing the smoke?

I don't think its fuel related, the EGR is not connected and there are no faults from the ECU.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Is it on starting or running?
    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
      Is it on starting or running?
      Running, it's not that bad, but it's there.

Comment

I think it's probably best that you take it to a qualified, working mechanic and have it checked.

After all working on cars should not be done by those that aren't currently in the trade, mistakes can result in accident, injury, or even death.
        Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
          I think it's probably best that you take it to a qualified, working mechanic and have it checked.

After all working on cars should not be done by those that aren't currently in the trade, mistakes can result in accident, injury, or even death.
          I will. I'll also tell him exactly what to do. I'm merely canvasing opinion. Many thanks for yours.

Comment

Black is usually over fuelling, is it not? Thought burning oil tended to give blue'ish smoke? Nothing been done or altered recently?

Comment

If I was not being an idiot, after all the spirit of the forum is to help others. I'd suggest that before you spend money on your turbo, you check the oil breather to see if there is a high deposit of oil going into your turbo through the air inlet. If so might be an idea to add an oil catch pot.
              Sometimes it can be the simple things (most times it isn't).
              Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                  Noticed today my truck is smoking a wee bit, smells a bit of burning oil too. As it's black smoke and there's an oily smell, my diagnosis is that the turbo seals are on their way out. Anyone got any other ideas as to what may be causing the smoke?

I don't think its fuel related, the EGR is not connected and there are no faults from the ECU.
                  normal driving?or heavy throttle?

Comment

Heavy Throttle, that old codger

Comment

top reply!
                      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                        Black is usually over fuelling, is it not? Thought burning oil tended to give blue'ish smoke? Nothing been done or altered recently?
                        It does suggest over feuelling, but I'm not using more fuel, but I am burning more oil, hence the turbo thought. I have checked all the air hoses etc., they are all ok.

Not mucked about with it for ages.

Comment

If I was not being an idiot, after all the spirit of the forum is to help others. I'd suggest that before you spend money on your turbo, you check the oil breather to see if there is a high deposit of oil going into your turbo through the air inlet. If so might be an idea to add an oil catch pot.
                          Sometimes it can be the simple things (most times it isn't).
                          I've tried a crude catch pot (old plastic bottle) it didn't make any difference. Although I may fit one anyway, it'll clean up the air inlet a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
                            normal driving?or heavy throttle?
                            Most noticable just after overrun.

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                              It does suggest over feuelling, but I'm not using more fuel, but I am burning more oil, hence the turbo thought. I have checked all the air hoses etc., they are all ok.

Not mucked about with it for ages.
                              Could be then. The oil obviously has to be going somewhere. How much is it using/losing?

Comment

Working...
                              X