Track rod ends quickie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track rod ends quickie

Is it best to replace both inner and outer whilst doing them or just the outers?

if they haven't been done before then i would say yes do both but if the inners are ok then just do the outers
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

i'd always do both,but you should be ok with just outers,it would just be nagging at the back of my mind

Comment

I did both matt. One of them was ok but I took the view that as one had failed the other had less life than the new one.....and going offroad a lot a bit of paranoia crept in as well
        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Both it is then. Cheers. Damned if I'm getting new tubes though. They will come free if it kills me.

Just on a side note, has anyone used one of the (new?) RTrax steering dampers? Is it worthwhile changing the original, or is the difference negligible?

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
            Both it is then. Cheers. Damned if I'm getting new tubes though. They will come free if it kills me.

Just on a side note, has anyone used one of the (new?) RTrax steering dampers? Is it worthwhile changing the original, or is the difference negligible?
            Just did two, might well do as described

top and bottom ball joints and front dampers
            Last edited by yoshie; 12 August 2009, 18:00.
            Brian

Comment

I got an uprated one off of Tony N. Twas a pig to get off though.
              Working at last.......

Comment

Originally posted by LURCH View Post
                I got an uprated one off of Tony N. Twas a pig to get off though.
                Typical. Half a reply. What difference did it make over the original?

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                  Just did two, might well do as described

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                  top and bottom ball joints and front dampers
                  Is that a suggestion to check/change those too?

The front dampers were changed for 9000's when I got her, so they aren't in need of replacement.

Comment

Typical. Half a reply. What difference did it make over the original?
                    Well i am a half wit, i'm on ere ain't i.
                    It made it easier to turn especially when i had the 31s on.........
                    Working at last.......

Comment

i got the uprated steering damper on mine from r/t and i found it a hell of a lot better than the original.Once my truck is lifted again i will be fitting twin steering dampers

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                        i got the uprated steering damper on mine from r/t and i found it a hell of a lot better than the original.
                        Cheers Rich. What difference does it make from the original? Does it stiffen the steering up a tad and take the little wiggles out? (Just asking 'cos I've no idea what it's actual purpose/effect on the steering is ).

Comment

I feel i got better control of the steering especially when hitting potholes etc and yes it stiffens it up a bit aswell,so well worth fitting one

Comment

Is that a suggestion to check/change those too?

The front dampers were changed for 9000's when I got her, so they aren't in need of replacement.
                            matt its like a never ending story, you have to stop somewere. if it aint broke dont fix it
                            JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                              I feel i got better control of the steering especially when hitting potholes etc and yes it stiffens it up a bit aswell,so well worth fitting one
                              Cheers. That's always been my one niggle with the Surf. The fact that the steering seems extremely easy and easily influenced by surface deviations. That's what set me off considering the uprated damper to start with.

Originally posted by lord lucan View Post
                              matt its like a never ending story, you have to stop somewere. if it aint broke dont fix it
                              True. I'll leave those alone for the time being and let the M.O.T be the deciding factor on those.

Comment

Working...
                              X