changing the speedo/ stereo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changing the speedo/ stereo

so to everyone who gave me any help a while back, thanksa lot. i got a 93 manual SSR-X about a week ago. all is good, but i need to change the speedo facia over to MPH and i also wanna put in a new cd player. i'm guessing this is all easy enough to do, but i don't wanna rip out the dash regardless and bugger it all up. is it simple enough to do? thanks

--troy.

Originally posted by troyxharder
    ... but i need to change the speedo facia over to MPH ...
    Just a point about the speedo... whilst I think it is a legal requirement (and certainly an SVA requirement) for the speedo to show MPH, I can find no mention in the MOT testers manual, that it should be checked as part of the MOT.

I have asked the question at my MOT station and they agree... they have told me that they will issue an MOT certificate without me changing the speedo fascia.

Now, I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't do it or that you don't need to do it to be completly legal ... only that you don't NEED to do it immediately to get an MOT.

Cheers,
    Alan
    Never argue with an idiot... they drag you down to their level - then beat you with experience!!

Comment

so to everyone who gave me any help a while back, thanksa lot. i got a 93 manual SSR-X about a week ago. all is good, but i need to change the speedo facia over to MPH and i also wanna put in a new cd player. i'm guessing this is all easy enough to do, but i don't wanna rip out the dash regardless and bugger it all up. is it simple enough to do? thanks

--troy.
      i took mine to a place up the Walworth Road in S London and they did a top job of installing the CD player - took out the old double din and replaced it with single din CD and a din pocket - very tidy job - cant remember their name but the shop is opposite Liverpool Grove off the Walworth Road.

Comment

--troy.
        CD/Radio install is handy enough, try here for full step by step instructions
        http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs...a/4Runner.html
        Maurice
        Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

morr.... thanks a lot.
          and that is an incredible avatar!

Comment

.....and that is an incredible avatar!
            Maurice
            Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Hi there

I hope this helps you, even though I'm a real newbie ( I've only had my surf 3 days!!), as I've got the same problem:
              The SPV only covers vehicles under 10 years old and as yours is a 93 (same as mine), yours wasn't done and only had to have an MOT which as someone has already said, doesn't cover the speedo.
              I'm afraid though that the speedo does have to show mph (or both under EU regs) and it is a legal requirement so ignorance is no defence (pity really as I'd be innocent of every thing!!), but there are a couple exceptions, a complete speeo failure or having the speedo booked into be changed.
              You don't have to change the whole speedo though, you can just change the face (try this: Ebay Item number: 2479497761).
              As for the stereo, you can an get adaptor for toyota cars from Halfords for the wiring.
              Hope this helps.
              PS Helllo everyone
              Last edited by sticks; 26 April 2006, 20:57.

Comment

Working...
              X