Bad form?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad form?

Would it be classed as bad form to sod the angle grinder with cutting disc for cutting through metal and just get the ARC welder on it and melt through the bugger instead?

Originally posted by MattF View Post
    Would it be classed as bad form to sod the angle grinder with cutting disc for cutting through metal and just get the ARC welder on it and melt through the bugger instead?
    Yes
    I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

gas axe
      i bust things ,, it a skill i have ,,( need help?)

Comment

only if you dont mind having a cut edge rougher than a pikeys table manners
        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

angle grinder with cutting disc for cutting through metal
          = SLOW

Originally posted by johnd View Post
          gas axe
          = FUN

BTW what are you cutting??
          My other cars a QUAD
          (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
          http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Grinder for sure unless you want to get a plasma cutter
            ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Originally posted by jotto View Post
              Yes
              I thought it might be well up there on the bodge scale.

Originally posted by BioHazard View Post
              unless you want to get a plasma cutter
              I wish.

Originally posted by sv1000spilot View Post
              BTW what are you cutting??
              The Gipsy. Seriously, when he welded the back together on this thing he must have been chuckling to himself thinking of the day when some poor sod would try removing it. Dismantling a tank would be easier. Spent about three hours on it this afternoon with the cutter and I've hardly even made an impression.

Just trying to get the I beam frame off of the chassis, (without damage to the chassis or the flatbed, but don't mind whether the I beam frame is destroyed or not), so that I can see how to subtly remove the flat bed. It's like a multi-layered puzzle though, and none of the metal sections are exactly what you could call flimsy. Some of the welds are just impossible to get to with the grinder too unless I dismantle the framework layer by layer.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                only if you dont mind having a cut edge rougher than a pikeys table manners
                I don't mind rough, as long as it's off. As soon as I get this off, I can get her in the shed.

Comment

i can lend ya a stilsaw with a dimond blade on
                  one sunday maybe if its any use
                  i can not picture what it is your cutting
                  am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Hi matt,

If you have a big air compressor, what about trying
                    an air saw, it's surprising what you can cut thru' with a
                    hacksaw blade, to use an arc welder to burn thru' steel,
                    you will need special rods, (groovees I think they're called)
                    the fumes and smoke are unbelievable tho.

Good luck.

Gman.
                    If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

Are you useing the thin cutting discs on the grinder? i cut through all sorts with em, very good
                      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

FATT F.your a heathen.
                        www.overfab.uk

Comment

I've got some 1.5 mm 115mm o/d cutting discs if you need some just let me know I will post them to you matey

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                            Are you useing the thin cutting discs on the grinder? i cut through all sorts with em, very good
                            Just been using the standard types upto just. Might give those a whirl though. I might end up trying Grassman's saw method too the rate I'm going.

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
                            FATT F.your a heathen.
                            Yup. Normally I go for the subtle approach, but by Christ, the bloke must be peeing himself with laughter if he's looking down and watching me trying to disassemble this thing. It's not too bad until you get to the rear end, and then it's like a Rubik's cube of metalwork. No room to get in with the grinder unless I remove the layers bit by bit, but even now I still can't see where the original ends and the additions start. It's like peeling an onion made up from 2mm-3mm steel plate. You cut through one lot of seams thinking that part should come free and then you find reinforcing straps behind too. How the hell he welded this thing up like he did is beyond me.

Originally posted by Webbo View Post
                            I've got some 1.5 mm 115mm o/d cutting discs if you need some just let me know I will post them to you matey
                            Cheers. I have a supply at the mo, but I'll be in touch if needs be.

Comment

Working...
                            X