Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie, info please.

hi all,

i am just about to sell my nissan skyline and astra van, (message me if interested) and the plan is to buy a hilux surf, i love them but to be honest i know very little about them, hence why im here.

for financial reasons im looking at either a 1st or 2nd gen surf.

i do my research but at the moment i am struggling to understand the difference between the 1st and 2nd gen regarding the 4wd and centre diff?? can both be opereated on dry tarmac in 4wd?? in the past i have had a mitsi L200. that was ok if not a bit thirsty!

general notes on what to look for and prices to expect to pay would be helpfull.

best models?? main difference between models??

please help me.

Kev

Hello mate.
    I'm looking at buying one as well, I think 1st and 2nd gen's are a no no with regards to driving on the road in 4wd (no LSD), I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong though. As for what to look for, use the search option at the top, there's tons of info and links with everything you could possibly want to know, it's all here.
    As for differences try this:
    http://www.motortraders.net/imports/...del=Hilux+Surf

Hope you find one
    Neal

Comment

As pointed out above, 1st and 2nd gens have no centre diff, so 4wd only on slippery surfaces. 1st gens are fairly awkward to drop on. It's a case of as and when and you will probably have some remedial work to do too if you do manage to get your hands on one.

Comment

thanks for your replys guys.

thanks for the link above, at the moment i think im looking for a 3.0 2nd gen manual, in some sort of ssr spec. a good choice?

2nd gen , am i right in saying that the front diff locks when in 4wd?

am i right in expecting to pay around 3k for a good example of what i want?

kev

Comment

Originally posted by bigkev1986 View Post

thanks for the link above, at the moment i think im looking for a 3.0 2nd gen manual, in some sort of ssr spec. a good choice?

kev
          The front diff on a 2nd gen will lock up IF your on hard surface which wont allow the front wheels to slip, only use 4wd on soft or icey surface

you'll get a real goodun for 3K,
          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by bigkev1986 View Post

Why a manual mate? Believe me the auto is a dream to drive and performs very well off road. SSRV lowest spec, SSRX high spec, SSRG with Recarro interior.

£3k might even get you a decent 3rd gen! Expect to pay around £2,000 to £2,500 for a very good 2nd gen as prices have dropped dramatically of late. Expect to get suspension / body lift and big tyres for £2,500.

kev
            Answers in red in the quotes.
            Last edited by Scorpion; 8 August 2009, 20:11.
            'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Paid £1300 for my 3.0L 2nd Gen, good nick, couple tiny bits o rust, you wil get a cracker for 3K. Good luck

Comment

the way prices are at the moment you'll get a very good 3rd gen for the money your spending.
                A good 3.0l 2nd gen i would be looking at about 1750 top price for a decent one
                https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                  the way prices are at the moment you'll get a very good 3rd gen for the money your spending.
                  A good 3.0l 2nd gen i would be looking at about 1750 top price for a decent one
                  Aye mine
                  Brian

Comment

a manual on autotrader its not a 1998 tho thats a 2nd gen, but maybe worth a look anyway.
                    http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk...icleRegLetter=

Comment

Originally posted by mickyd View Post
                      a manual on autotrader its not a 1998 tho thats a 2nd gen, but maybe worth a look anyway.
                      I would say that ad is suspect, the 3rd gens were started in 1996, so 1998 is a load of tosh !
                      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

well.... it looks like i can lower my price bracket then (which is nice).

ive always had manuals and driven many autos and to be honest i just feel a bit out of the loop and disconnected when driving an auto. i dont doubt their capabilities at all.

are 2nd gen manuals far rarer than the autos??

if anyone knows of any for sale that i might be interested in please feel free to point me in the right direction. i have had a look in the for sale secion but i havent seen anything that is spot on yet!

again thanks for all your help guys. you are most informative!

kev

Comment

Give Hilux a shout on here as he has a few 2nd gens for sale
                          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by mickyd View Post
                            Also - compare photos middle left and bottom right. Photo from same angle but obviously a different vehicle in each photo! The same dealer has another Surf for sale with the pics mixed up if you hunt around a wee bit.

Comment

I would keep away from that man. I went to him when I was looking for a surf and he just doesn't ring true.I did a 200+ mile round trip to see a surf he was selling. Lots of little things and the paperwork not seeming to be kosher kept my wallet in my pocket.
                              I'm glad I did as a few weeks later I bought a better one (in my opinion) with lower milage a lot cheaper.
                              I might be doing the man a disservice but that particular surf just didn't "feel right" as a package.
                              Hope this helps you. Just keep looking and be prepared to travel. I bought mine in Warrington in the end.
                              all the best Ian
                              I've taken a vow of poverty To anoy me send money

Comment

Working...
                              X