• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What am I trying to do to myself!!

This arrived today

This arrived last week

Along with these

And this came last Thursday

Looks Like I'm going to have a busy set of rest days, just need to find DirtyDogs write up now. (I think it was DirtyDog anyway, apologies if it was you and not him)
    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

what you doin then mate it looks shiney
    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

cooling issues
      ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Originally posted by BioHazard View Post
        cooling issues
        whats the shiney bits for? stupid question but its been one of those days, oh and how you been mate?
        SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Does sir have an plan to cut down on the oil in the air manifold ?

Yep, spotted the catch can
          Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by BioHazard View Post
            cooling issues
            Not yet (suprising really when you consider your attempts)

The top of my old rad has been repaired a few times, and the repairs are now showing signs of weakening, so I'm fitting a brand new one before the old one breaks. This year on the return from Scotland the aux temp guage did go 7 degrees higher than normal so I thought it was time for a tranny cooler (been on the cards for about five years).

The shiney cyclinder is an oil catch pot, it goes between the oil breather pipe and the air intake, and literally catches any oil that is blown out the pipe, stopping the oil from being sucked into the turbo and being burnt in the engine.

The two items still sealed are lower ball joints, which were an advisory on this years MOT (I knew they were getting towards the end, so I was going to change them anyway).

The worst of it is there is a intercooler in the shed, but the fittings being put off because I haven't got the body lift, and my company have thrown a spanner in the works by deciding to change from weekly to monthly pay next month. A month without pay with only a months notice was not expected
            Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by charvell View Post
              what you doin then mate it looks shiney
              It won't be for long in my engine bay, especially after a trip out with Bio.
              Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

I'm doing all ball joints soon, I did some for a lad recently, doddle.
                I developed a nifty wee technique for doing the ball joints.

Support crossmember on an axle stand on the side you are going to work on.
                Jack up the lower wishbone after loosening the lower joint bottom nut (crack the 4 mounting bolts too if they are rusted) use a raised platform to support another axle stand and brace the upper wishbone with a suitable (solid) steel bar into the holes in chassis leg and lower the jack on lower wishbone to open up the space where ball joint is.
                Make sense?

Might be a bit 'shady tree method' but it works.
                Last edited by KERRSURF; 5 August 2009, 22:50.
                Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                  I'm doing all ball joints soon, I did some for a lad recently, doddle.
                  I developed a nifty wee technique for doing the top ones.

Support crossmember on an axle stand on the side you are going to work on.
                  Jack up the lower wishbone after loosening the lower joint bottom nut (crack the 4 mounting bolts too if they are rusted) use a raised platform to support another axle stand and brace the upper wishbone with a suitable (solid) steel bar into the holes in chassis leg and lower the jack on lower wishbone to open up the space where ball joint is.
                  Make sense?

Might be a bit 'shady tree method' but it works.
                  I didn't think of trying that when I did my sisters weekend before last. I (after supporting the frame on my BIG axle stands) removed tension from the torsion bars and using a crowbar leavered the upper wishbone up thus creating the necessary space to remove (and then fit the new) ball joints. Your technique sounds less physical (which in my book is better) so I'll give it a try. Mine have lasted about three or four years, so it's not a job I do often (or look forward to).
                  Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

It does save winding torsion bars back but please make sure you are perfectly happy with the setup before getting your hands in there.
                    I'd hate to be responsible for anyone getting hurt.
                    Alan

Comment

It does save winding torsion bars back but please make sure you are perfectly happy with the setup before getting your hands in there.
                      I'd hate to be responsible for anyone getting hurt.
                      But you were quite happy for me to bodge something up to fix thon tensioner? Cheers mate!

Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                        But you were quite happy for me to bodge something up to fix thon tensioner? Cheers mate!

that would only hurt an engine and someones pocket, not break their arms.
                        Alan

Comment

that would only hurt an engine and someones pocket, not break their arms.
                          It might have pinged out when I was compressing it, could have compromised my stunning good looks...
                          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Well considering I'm working around night shifts, not doing to bad.
                            Yesterday I got the bumper, grill and radiator off, without snapping any bolts, which must be a record for my truck. After half an hour useing the search function last night (at work) I discovered that the correct pipe for the feed to the tranny cooler (if you want it before the rad) is the offside (loads of threads read right hand pipe).

Then today I've fitted the new rad and tranny cooler and connected all the pipes. Two minor problems, I forgot to buy coolent so I can not refill, burp (what is the best way to do this?) or check for leaks. And found a misterious what looks to be vacum pipe going nowhere (please check here http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...772#post567772).

Somethings bound to go wrong, my truck doesn't normally allow me to work on her this easily!
                            Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Working...
                            X