No announcement yet.

First time surf owner, chuffed so far!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time surf owner, chuffed so far!

Hi
    I've had my surf a week or so now and I'm really pleased with it.
    It's a '93 import with an auto box and 2.4 engine.
    I've had a couple of discoverys before and I'm well impressed with my surf. Especially the auto box in comparison to the one I had in a 4L petrol disco.

It's got a few little problems a hole in the exhaust, seams to burn a little oil and a small leak from the fuel pump. But it drives really well, chassis and bodywork look really good (unlike discoverys I've had & seen) and all my electrics work fine.

My 1 question right now is what oil do I need for the engine is it 10-40? It needs a top up asap.

I'll be on and posting more over the next few days but work calls me later today .
    Thanks

Originally posted by Teshu View Post
    Hi
    I've had my surf a week or so now and I'm really pleased with it.
    It's a '93 import with an auto box and 2.4 engine.
    I've had a couple of discoverys before and I'm well impressed with my surf. Especially the auto box in comparison to the one I had in a 4L petrol disco.

It's got a few little problems a hole in the exhaust, seams to burn a little oil and a small leak from the fuel pump. But it drives really well, chassis and bodywork look really good (unlike discoverys I've had & seen) and all my electrics work fine.

My 1 question right now is what oil do I need for the engine is it 10-40? It needs a top up asap.

I'll be on and posting more over the next few days but work calls me later today .
    Thanks
    Hi an welcome

Can't believe you ay had any response....

as for the oil - prob too late - have always used 10 30 an frequent changes.
    How can I be lost when I've got no where to go

Comment

Hi and welcome to the forum of mad surf owners
      Last edited by Growler; 10 August 2009, 21:42.

Comment

WELCOME! this post must have been missed!
        ive just put 10-40 semi synth in mine.
        if you do a change inlcuding filter, you will need about 8 litres of oil. and prime the filter.
        oil change every 5000km, oil and filter every 10000km. get filters from roughtrax, i do so because a oil filter from local is £28, from roughtrax its about £8.

why do you think its burning oil? best to get that hole fixed

good to have a new member!
        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
          WELCOME! this post must have been missed!
          ive just put 10-40 semi synth in mine.
          if you do a change inlcuding filter, you will need about 8 litres of oil. and prime the filter.
          oil change every 5000km, oil and filter every 10000km. get filters from roughtrax, i do so because a oil filter from local is £28, from roughtrax its about £8.

why do you think its burning oil? best to get that hole fixed

good to have a new member!
          Hell Tony you got a big sump then or you overfilled it.I think you'll find it to be 6 -7 litres for oil.
          By the way you don't need to prime the filter on the oil cause you can't
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Mines about 6 too
            How can I be lost when I've got no where to go

Comment

you can prime the filter, its just if your too slow most of it gets poured down the side of the engine. but you can prime it

i wish i could just buy 6 or 7 litres.. works out more expensive if you buy a 4 or 5 litre can, plus a few 1's

my first oil change on the 2.4 and i poured 3 litres in and then about 100ml each time after that to keep checking... i seriously was scratching my head once i had put the whole 4 or 5 litres in, for it only to just touch the dipstick! (it read Low)
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

7 litres of oil, no need to prime filter, a wee rub of fresh oil on new filter seal before fitting only hand tight. Fit a new sump bung washer when doing an oil change.
                Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Oh aye....welcome to the forum
                  Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Thanks for all the replies,

I've topped my oil up will get round to a filter and oil change in the next week or two (hopefully). My OH just had a baby so I suspect I may be pushed for time!

The holen in the exhaust is in the first section, I've seen them for about £95 on e-bay, are these worth buying or do recommend paying more from rutrax?
                    Is it a fairly easy thing to swap over or will I need to have it on a proper garage lift to get the exhaust in and out?

I've been looking around the site a bit and hopefully should be able to grab an hour here and there to post while I've got a few weeks off from work.

Cheers folks
                    Alex

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
                      you can prime the filter, its just if your too slow most of it gets poured down the side of the engine. but you can prime it

i wish i could just buy 6 or 7 litres.. works out more expensive if you buy a 4 or 5 litre can, plus a few 1's

my first oil change on the 2.4 and i poured 3 litres in and then about 100ml each time after that to keep checking... i seriously was scratching my head once i had put the whole 4 or 5 litres in, for it only to just touch the dipstick! (it read Low)
                      Dieselboy , maybe you should change your name to Oilyboy as I hate to imagine the state of your engine bay, driveway and clothes
                      Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Originally posted by PDR View Post
                        Dieselboy , maybe you should change your name to Oilyboy as I hate to imagine the state of your engine bay, driveway and clothes
                        sounds a little bit homosexual to me, but if you think its best

i didnt spill that much as im pretty "rapid" when replacing the filter, plus, i used lots of paper down. the only thing is i need to spread my tools around to keep the paper from blowing away!
                        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Don't fill the oil to the top mark on the dip stick, only fill to half way between the bottom and top marks.
                          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

welcome dude
                            am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                              Don't fill the oil to the top mark on the dip stick, only fill to half way between the bottom and top marks.
                              why is that?
                              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                              X