fuel pump timing on a 2LTE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel pump timing on a 2LTE

ive found this tonight whilst doing some random google searches for things to do with my trucks.

i find this interesting. you may already be in the know
    http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/v...ic.php?t=21315
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Curious find, I'll give it a try when I work on mine this month. (New radiator, transmission cooler, lower ball joints, oil catch tank, and (if there's enougth room without a body lift) intercooler).
    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

For a top mount intercooler, I think a lift is needed.
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

So do I but my company has just informed me that wwe are transfering from weekly pay to monthly in September, and I hadn't purchased the lift kit yet (need to put away a months worth of money with one months notice).
        Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

That is an interesting find though DB, I'll give it a try later this week. Certainly can't do any harm?

Comment

The timing definitely advanced by several degrees to what I believe is perfect timing. I have more power and more economy.
            Starts easily without glowing - previously needed glow plus idle up.
            Full boost (10) comes on at 2K. Previously 2.5+
            Slightly more diesel knock in start up.
            Max torque is now where it should be at around 2,200. My truck now rumbles around the city at no more than 1.5 to 2k revs.
            I am looking a bit stupified at my trip meter. Its is showing 180k for 1/3 tank - well under 9 per 100 and this for worst case city driving, lots of cold starts and short trips.
            Much better acceleration.
            No smoke whatsoever. None. Zilch.
            when he says "timing" is he talking about cam timing (engine timing) or is he talking specifically about fuel pump timing in relation to the rest of the engine (i.e. the cam and crank are still timed perfectly but with the fuel pump advanced)
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
              That is an interesting find though DB, I'll give it a try later this week. Certainly can't do any harm?
              i wouldnt have thought so. if all its doing is making the ECU recheck the crank position then theoretically it shouldnt make any difference at all. but i think what was proved here is that the ECU doesnt act normally therefore does not check the crank position on every start up like it should do.
              so, resetting the ECU should make it run better, as it should make the ecu get the new position (if it has changed with wear) and the rest should be worked out by the ECU.

i think this is the only possibility.
              i really dont know how many other things could be checked by the ECU that would effect the running of the engine. i know from past experience with petrol engines end learning ECUs that they will run crap for the first couple of hours and then adjust themselfes. i dont think diesels are this way, so technically it shouldnt make any difference.

i will probably try it as well
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
                when he says "timing" is he talking about cam timing (engine timing) or is he talking specifically about fuel pump timing in relation to the rest of the engine (i.e. the cam and crank are still timed perfectly but with the fuel pump advanced)
                The electronic tweaking of the timing to the Crankshaft Angle Sensor. The basic timing is mechanical.

Comment

on previous of disconecting my battery leads my alarm kicks in on the battery back up like a tamper device kicking in, any advice

Comment

Originally posted by rob24 View Post
                    on previous of disconecting my battery leads my alarm kicks in on the battery back up like a tamper device kicking in, any advice
                    remove the battery from the alarm if poss,
                    or find out how its wired in and temporarily remove the live.

that being said, if you dont have any issues right now it probably isnt worth all the hastle.
                    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by rob24 View Post
                      press unlock on the alarm

Comment

disconnected the batteries on mine on Sunday as its off the road until i've done a couple of small jobs for the mot, reconnected them today and definitely seemed to make a difference when starting as only just turned the key and it fired and idled perfect (normally sounds like 3 cylinders for the first few seconds) will see if it improves driveability when it goes for mot!!

Comment

thanks for posting back. im interested to know if this makes any improvement on the long run..
                          so did your surf start more like a '93 land cruiser (6 cyl turbo diesel) ? those engines dont even make 1/2 a revolution before its started
                          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
                            so did your surf start more like a '93 land cruiser (6 cyl turbo diesel) ? those engines dont even make 1/2 a revolution before its started
                            To be pedantic for a few seconds; that's impossible...

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                              To be pedantic for a few seconds; that's impossible...
                              Mine starts like that.

Nev

Comment

Working...
                              X