tyre wear on the inside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tyre wear on the inside

Just noticed the front tyres wearing on the inside .Took it to Kwik fit who checked it (with the figures off this site) andd said it was fine.

Took it to another local back street garage who knows Toyotas/LC's inside out and he checked it and again said it was fine.

The manuals say to rotate tyres...

Any ideas fellas??

What did they check ?? Im guessing alignment only. ( certainly for Kwik Fit). Did they check camber, toe in etc etc? A full steering geometry check will set you back around 60 pounds and it sounds to me as if this is what you need

As regards rotating your tyres its a good idea to keep wear even, basically you go round clockwise by one wheel every x miles or months. i.e. front nearside goes to front frontoffside which goes to rear offside. etc, If however you have a geometry issue at the front you,ll end up with 4 tyres worn prematurely on the inside. If you are lucky somebody with a bit of knowledge will appear immediately and either reinforce or trash my theory.

Bogus
    Сви можемо

Comment

Sounds like positive camber, or excessive cornering speed. When you look at the truck head on, are the front wheels leaning in at the top?
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

usually rotate tyres f/o/s to r/n/s and f/n/s to r/o/s

diagonal corners
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

The old rotating tyres philosophy is bunkum these days with anything remotely resembling a modern vehicle. If your alignment is correct there is no need. If there is reason to rotate them, you are merely masking a problem which needs sorting. Sort the cause of the uneven wear.

Comment

When I've had this in the past its been knackered shocks in some way (worn out springs or bushes, etc). On my old Celica the inside of the tread was completely gone before I noticed it cos there was still tons of tread left on the outside. I noticed it when I was heading back up the driveway after closing the gates.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
              The old rotating tyres philosophy is bunkum these days with anything remotely resembling a modern vehicle. If your alignment is correct there is no need. If there is reason to rotate them, you are merely masking a problem which needs sorting. Sort the cause of the uneven wear.

usually the driven wheels will wear quicker, so swap them round at half wear and they'll last longer
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man View Post
                usually the driven wheels will wear quicker, so swap them round at half wear and they'll last longer

Did you actually consider that advice before you said it? They won't last longer. You'll merely end up with all four tyres being replaced approximately around the same time rather than two at a time.

Comment

Did you actually consider that advice before you said it? They won't last longer. You'll merely end up with all four tyres being replaced approximately around the same time rather than two at a time.
                  god your an argumentive sod anyway the slugmans a rich person,

I've never bothered swoping wheels round, and surely it's the steered wheels that will wear first unless your lead footed, (tho most cars are front wheel drive these days i suppose) give me a car with a prop shaft, plugs, points and a condenser and a star to steer her by any day
                  Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                    god your an argumentive sod
                    I prefer to think of it as being factual.

Comment

Which, on a 4wd vehicle with no centre diff, is what I'd prefer really.
                      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                      X