Buying a Surf?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a Surf?????

I had been intending to buy a 2.4TD Surf, but all I hear is problems with the head gasket and overheating. I am now seriously reconsidering my choice of 4x4, as the last thing I need is to be doing is spending my weekends (work away from home all week) with my head under a bonnet and my hand never out of my pocket fixing it. Like many Surf owners, I am not wanting a Surf because I need to change cars, I dont need another car, I just want to enjoy driving it, not fixing it, as I am not car mechanically minded. Am I being paranoid? Some reassurance required .

Regards

Gordon (gwm)

well if thats the case why not buy a 3.0 i have a 2.4 & ive had it for just over a year the only thing ive had to do is the usual servicing & stuff
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by gwm
      I had been intending to buy a 2.4TD Surf, but all I hear is problems with the head gasket and overheating. I am now seriously reconsidering my choice of 4x4, as the last thing I need is to be doing is spending my weekends (work away from home all week) with my head under a bonnet and my hand never out of my pocket fixing it. Like many Surf owners, I am not wanting a Surf because I need to change cars, I dont need another car, I just want to enjoy driving it, not fixing it, as I am not car mechanically minded. Am I being paranoid? Some reassurance required .

Regards

Gordon (gwm)
      Like many problems, you only hear about the bad ones, I had a 2.4 model before and it gave me 18mths troublefree driving before I regretably sold it.
      The head issue only affects a relativly small number of models, most 2.4's give terrific service. I would not have a problem buying another. Do a search here on the forum at this question has been covered many times (with plenty of reassuring info).
      Like any vehicle, check it out properly (your making a good start here ) and it will give you excellent service.
      Last edited by Morr; 18 May 2004, 18:48.
      Maurice
      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Yeah, you're better off going for a Pajero. I hear they're much better off road!
        Derek :
        1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
        [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Buying a Surf is no more/less risky than buying any other 4x4.Sure there are a relatively low number of horror stories involving "head" probs on a very small minority of 2.4s,but I am sure if you check around forums of any other makes of 4x4 there will be probably just as many (if not more)probs to be found(that's the main purpose of tech forums,solving tech probs).In my opinion the Surf is one of the best 4x4 vehicles available,and is definately the best vehicle I have ever owned,but if I were to post every time I was happy with the vehicle my post count would be into 6 figures by now.As with buying any vehicle it pays to do your homework,this forum was invaluable to me previous to buying my Surf,but if you have any doubts about the mechanical side of things take a mechanic along to have a look at the vehicle with you,or failing that,if buying from a dealer make sure they put a decent warranty on the vehicle for peace of mind.