No announcement yet.

Tonights shuttle launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's clear here. Will I be able to see it?

I've met a Shuttle Commander...
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

must say i did like the view from the camera on the way up!!

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
        It's clear here. Will I be able to see it?

I've met a Shuttle Commander...
        Dunno. Check this out. Its based on the launch being a few nights back but as the launch time was very similar, the times should be similar. The ISS is listed too, and those times will be correct.

<edit> the times for the shuttle woont be similar because the ones in the table assume he's caught up with the ISS by then. He'll likely be later than those times until then as he's in a lower orbit playing catch-up.

They'll probably have updated the timings by tomorrow night.
        Last edited by Apache; 15 July 2009, 23:50.
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

think it was visible about 10 mins ago to the west as saw something bright in that direction when taking the dog out and was too bright to be a plane and quick enough to look like a satellite orbiting until it faded, ( i know i sound a little mad/sad watching the sky) when walking the dogs

Comment

I too have always been transfixed by the Apollo Programme - my mother dragged me out of bed in 1969 to watch Armstrong setting his little boot an' all that - I was 6 y.o. at the time - great suff.

I would get into any shuttle (or any other 'craft') and go.

At the drop of a hat etc.

Where is the goal these days? 'I'm a Celebrity, Get me out of here!' X Fuctor?

Aim high.........
            Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Could easily have been shuttle or ISS. Check the times for where you live in the link I posted.

I was working early shifts last winter, and one morning I was opening the gates at about 5:30AM and looked up and saw the ISS as bright as an aircraft light whizzing over. Checked on the website when I got into the lab, and yep, that was it.

Its a weird time of day, 5:30AM in the winter. And I work out in the sticks a bit. Felt a little less lonely out there then

Comment

Thanks for the link Andy. I had a look but didn't see anything. The sky is still reasonably bright just now, so unless I was looking at exactly the right place, I'd probably not see it.
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo View Post
                  Where is the goal these days? 'I'm a Celebrity, Get me out of here!' X Fuctor?

Aim high.........
                  Brings a tear to my eye, that does.

I was full of 'holy shit!" type statements a little too loud tonight, as I always am when watching that kind of human acheivement. This is why the human race is here. Exploration. If we dont do this, we'll wither and die.

As far as Davina F*ckall and Ant & f*ckin Dick go, they should perhaps be given the opportunity to travel into space - strapped to the outside of a booster!

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                    Thanks for the link Andy. I had a look but didn't see anything. The sky is still reasonably bright just now, so unless I was looking at exactly the right place, I'd probably not see it.
                    Well keep looking. As I say, the ISS times are on the money. It's bright enough to see in twilight and the shuttle will have caught up in a few days.

Last summer I took my lad outside about 1am to see the shuttle pass over a few inches (scale) behind the ISS. We then came in and watched the docking live on NASA TV. Even as a cynical teenager, he was genuinely impressed.

Can you tell I like this stuff?

Comment

it'll be visible in the west again at about 00:50 according to the skywatch bit, looking at what i managed to find before midnight it was right on target to be the shuttle!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X