Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• towbar

Hi all,

Following my earlier post it looks like we are hading down the caravaning route, currently watching a couple on e-bay. This mean i also nee to buy and need some advice on the other obvious requirement....a towbar.

I have looked at a whitter. How easy are they to fit (or more to the pont how easy is the wiring to do as i think fitting the tow bar is relatively easy.

is ther any issue with the rear mounted wheel when towing or is the the towing hithc on the caravan sufficently long to provide clearence

I have read Markeys long and useful thread on caravaning so plenty of good info there already

Congratulations !

Hitching up can be a bit tricky dependent on the sort of hitch/stabiliser you have - we've got an Alko 3004 and normally swing the wheel out while we hitch up.

No idea on the wiring side - I just gave the whole job to a trailer company near Salisbury !

PS
    If you're interested in info for new caravanners (Including buying used caravans) I've got a pile of stuff that will be of help - just PM me your email address and I'll send it to you

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

enjoy,and wiring is easy for running lights,just tap into a light cluster,not done the second plug tho,that looks a bit more involved,and tbh i like to have a nose round the shops etc when we get where we are going,so i buy milk etc when i get there

Comment

If it is a 3rd gen (which from your details it appears to be), then Mr Bushwhacker did a detailed "how to make people jealous about the cleanliness under my car" thread which involved towbar fitting.

see it here:

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=54116

Comment

big thanks to Bob for all the very useful info for new caravaners. we have 'almost' bought a Fleetwood sonata, just waiting for a service to be completed and a damp report..
          All i need now is the towbar and i'm hopefully off to collect the van this weekend once we fit the bar.

Comment

good man,u will soon be spending many a happy morning emptying the cassete toilet seriously tho enjoy

Comment

cant wait to get out and about, the kids loved it when i brough them to see it, especially the bunks. Just followed a link to the Whitter site on e-bay and looks like a relatively esy job to fit a bar and the electrics. Does anyone htink its best to get these professionally done if you are going to tow a caravan?

Comment

depends how good you are with the spanners,its not difficult but if yr unsure get it fitted,ps if yr kids are young like mine,bottom bunk is v dark at night,top will have access to lights,go to bnq they are doing stick on push lights at the mo,but led so will last ages,2 for 5 quid

Comment

Originally posted by fergus View Post
                  cant wait to get out and about, the kids loved it when i brough them to see it, especially the bunks. Just followed a link to the Whitter site on e-bay and looks like a relatively esy job to fit a bar and the electrics. Does anyone htink its best to get these professionally done if you are going to tow a caravan?

The spanner bit is easy BUT the wiring for caravans varies dependent on the age - one of the files I sent you is about wiring up the 12S connector (I think that's the one that varies). There's also a mod you can do to reduce the chances of burning out the earth pin and improving the fridge performance when it's running on 12v

Good luck !

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Working...
                  X