Urgent Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent Help Needed

Whilst towing our caravan to Dorset, it looks like my Rad has sprung a leek on the top seal. Allthough it didnt seem to lose much water we will need to tow back to S>Wales in two weeks. Is there a quick fix for this type of leak, ie Rad Weld, Leak stop or should I try Liquid Metal across the whole seam. Advice needed and are there any welders/rad repairerers near Poole. The orange AT/OIL light came on a few times and im not sure what thats all about either.
    Thanks
    Nigel
    Surf K Reg LN130 2.4 AUTO

You could ask Surfenstien, he's local to Poole. If no luck then could you use RAC or AA to take you home? If you're doing a lot of towing and concerned about you ATF temperature, then I can recommend this mod http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ght=ATF+cooler I've done the same thing on my truck too.
    Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

In a "Emergency" if you dont have any other option, You can crack a egg into the HOT radiator. The egg will cook and plug the hole from the inside.

Comment

are rad sealers worth it though?
        in the long run they cause deposits and will block other parts of the water ways too.

best to just fix it asap or keep filling with water until you can.

DO NOT LET IT OVER HEAT

Comment

are rad sealers worth it though?
          in the long run they cause deposits and will block other parts of the water ways too.

best to just fix it asap or keep filling with water until you can.

DO NOT LET IT OVER HEAT

Comment

if it were me/mine id get towed home,to risky for killing yr head,if yr intent on temp fix go get some chemical metal from halfords and plug hole from outside of rad,bout 8 quid for a small tube,i wouldnt use rad weld or an egg,id only ever use those if i was selling a car on,just use yr breakdown cover,its why u pay for it

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
              if it were me/mine id get towed home,to risky for killing yr head,if yr intent on temp fix go get some chemical metal from halfords and plug hole from outside of rad,bout 8 quid for a small tube,i wouldnt use rad weld or an egg, id only ever use those if i was selling a car on, just use yr breakdown cover,its why u pay for it
              Note to self: Never buy a car from BDT2!
              'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Thanks all so far, bought a tube of chemical putty today but holding off applying it till i can find a small wire brush to clean the white deposits that seem to have hardened on and near the leak. As for water loss it seemed negligible when i checked, but maybe i found the leak early as i originally opened the bonnet to check the AT fluid level. As a point of info, my fluid is nowhere near red, more orangy brown so would that be the cause of the AT light coming on. Average price of a ATF change if anyone got any ideas.
                Dont forget im on a 2 week hol in a caravan so im hoping to get away with cheapest options or the holiday budget iwill be blown.
                Yup, got AA as last resort but prefer to find a quick fix for now. Seems not to leak under normal driving. Anywhere local to Poole to get a new rad cap, thought if that wasnt releasing pressure could be adding to probs.
                thanks again, keep suggestions coming.
                nigel
                Last edited by nigel129; 5 July 2009, 23:23.
                Surf K Reg LN130 2.4 AUTO

Comment

Why not try and replace the rad now ? Buy new from Rtrax and have it delivered to the caravan park. Or try Stormforce for a used one (he's down the road I believe)

Even if you have to buy a cheap socket set to do it, it will be worth it rather than pouring a load of crap into the cooling system and then towing stuff.

I got caught out in the lake district and burnt my trans fluid on a very steep hill. A quick stop at a supermarket got me a washing up bowl to drain the fluid into. It also bought me a measuring jug to measure how much I drained. A stop at a motor factors got me 5 litres of ATF. Drain 5 litres into the bowl. Pour 5 litres in to dipstick (buy a funnel too!!) Easy as pie...

Rob.

Comment

Working...
                  X