Advice on what to buy, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on what to buy, please

Hi, I've just moved to NZ and am looking to buy a Hilux for the equivalent of up to £8000+, all in.

My question is.. which models should I consider buying? Was there anywhere in the evolution of the Hilux where a clear quality/performance barrier was broken? I've searched the internet and these forums but haven't found such info for a complete novice.

It may be useful to know that I may try driving the vehicle across the world (no joke!). Cheers for your help,

Originally posted by BritInNZ
    Hi, I've just moved to NZ and am looking to buy a Hilux for the equivalent of up to £8000+, all in.

My question is.. which models should I consider buying? Was there anywhere in the evolution of the Hilux where a clear quality/performance barrier was broken? I've searched the internet and these forums but haven't found such info for a complete novice.

It may be useful to know that I may try driving the vehicle across the world (no joke!). Cheers for your help,

There have been a few discussions recently on this site about the 2.4/8 and 3L Surfs and if you can afford to go the whole hog and get a 3.0L...not heard of any head problems as yet...fingers crossed...not much different I would say in fuel economy but one hell of pull..if you pardon the pun from the 3.0L and I have heard of the 3.0L leaving the 2.4/8 standing still.
    Gaz

Comment

Follow up

Thanks for the advice and the great site.

To conclude this thread, I bought a black 1995 3L TurboDiesel Surf SSR-X, newly imported from Japan, manual (hard to find!), all sorts of extras incl aircon, spoiler, towbar etc etc for NZ$15000, which is five grand to you and me. 10500 on the clock, new tyres all round, totally mint.

No History though.

I've used it loads on- and off-road, and it's lovely. I'm in far south NZ surrounded by mountain tracks with fords, remote beauty for those who go well-equipped, like in a Surf.

Cheers. BritInNZ

Comment

ps

ps 12 mnth warranty parts & labour too. I'm here for a year so that's me sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by BritInNZ
          Thanks for the advice and the great site.

To conclude this thread, I bought a black 1995 3L TurboDiesel Surf SSR-X, newly imported from Japan, manual (hard to find!), all sorts of extras incl aircon, spoiler, towbar etc etc for NZ$15000, which is five grand to you and me. 10500 on the clock, new tyres all round, totally mint.

No History though.

I've used it loads on- and off-road, and it's lovely. I'm in far south NZ surrounded by mountain tracks with fords, remote beauty for those who go well-equipped, like in a Surf.

Cheers. BritInNZ
          Sounds great, post a few pics if you can.
          Service history usually disapears when these are imported, but as long as you maintain it properly from now you should have no problems.

Happy Surfin
          Maurice
          Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Working...
          X