Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got my 1st 4runner

Now a bonafide member, as I have bought a 4runner,
    UK 1996 (generation 2?) 3.0 turbo diesel.

like the truck ice high-up driving position!
    but will take me a while to get used to the handbrake lever, had a dodgy moment on a junction at an incline.

Got a few questions :

1) getting a lot of wobble in the steering. I know that the track rod ends have been lifting slightly - noted in last MOT. But it feels like badly balanced wheels - could the worn track rod ends contribute to vibration/judder?
    not noticeable below 40 mph, sometimes worse on bends.

2) truck is pulling to left, and under hard-braking pulls to right!
    any ideas? is this related to the worn track rods?

3) where is the best place for me to get owners manual & workshop manual e.g. Haynes one? - is the Australian haynes manual the only one UK owners can get hold of?

thats all for now!
    andy
    Landcruiser Colorado
    Sub. Forester

Originally posted by andycook
    Now a bonafide member, as I have bought a 4runner,
    UK 1996 (generation 2?) 3.0 turbo diesel.

like the truck ice high-up driving position!
    but will take me a while to get used to the handbrake lever, had a dodgy moment on a junction at an incline.

Got a few questions :

1) getting a lot of wobble in the steering. I know that the track rod ends have been lifting slightly - noted in last MOT. But it feels like badly balanced wheels - could the worn track rod ends contribute to vibration/judder?
    not noticeable below 40 mph, sometimes worse on bends.

2) truck is pulling to left, and under hard-braking pulls to right!
    any ideas? is this related to the worn track rods?

3) where is the best place for me to get owners manual & workshop manual e.g. Haynes one? - is the Australian haynes manual the only one UK owners can get hold of?

thats all for now!
    andy
    Andy.

Well done on the purchase.

Judder could be track rod ends or steering idler bushes. Could also be mishapen tyre or wheels out of balance.

Pulling to the right is more likely to be sticky brake caliper on the right or bad pads or sticky caliper (Seized off) on the left. If it was track rod ends or idler it would normally pull down the camber - i.e. to the left.

Australian Haynes or Max Ellery manual will do the job except for the engine. You can buy the manuals on line from a number of places. 1KZTE manual is available on line here:

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/manuals/1KZ-TE/

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
      Andy.

Well done on the purchase.

Judder could be track rod ends or steering idler bushes. Could also be mishapen tyre or wheels out of balance.

Pulling to the right is more likely to be sticky brake caliper on the right or bad pads or sticky caliper (Seized off) on the left. If it was track rod ends or idler it would normally pull down the camber - i.e. to the left.

Australian Haynes or Max Ellery manual will do the job except for the engine. You can buy the manuals on line from a number of places. 1KZTE manual is available on line here:

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/manuals/1KZ-TE/

Cheers
      Now thats a handy link to have Andy. Have you got one for the KZN185 please mate?

Comment

The 1KZTE manual is the one for the KZN185.

Comment

Originally posted by andy
          The 1KZTE manual is the one for the KZN185.
          D'oh......I realised it once I hit send. Cheers anyway.

Comment

my trucks model no is : KZN130 R - so guess that downloadable manual isn't the right one for me?

took it to kwik-fit at lunchtime to get wheels balanced, any got told they are too big for the balancing jig!!! - I had to laugh,
            found somewhere else, left it there as they were busy

hopefully its the wheels our of balance - cheapest fix if it is

still confused as to why the vehicle pulls to left during driving,
            and then pulls to right on braking!
            andy
            Landcruiser Colorado
            Sub. Forester

Comment

Yes it's the engine manual for the 3.0ltr engine,so it is the one for you.

Comment

Working...
              X