Not bad progress...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not bad progress...

Track rods removed and rebuilt with new ends, steering idler replaced, drive shafts out, top ball joints replaced, and...

...top lip split open nicely (inside and outside) by a flying breaker bar when trying to remove the bolts from the diff end of the CV joint!

Nearly knocked me out cold! Still bleeding over an hour later. Guess it should be stitched but I'm sick of lip-stitches
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Ouch!

Is this MoT work or something more interesting?

Comment

Don't you hate it when breaker bars do that.
      Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Preventative maintenance before the Pyrenees trip.

Top BJs were knackered, outer track rod ends knackered, idler balljoint knackered. Thought I may as well just replace the lot as it was apart and the parts aren't expensive.

I reckon the idler balljoint was mullered by Toyota when they did the relay rod recall work. The boot was split (before I'd got to it with the splitter!) and the balljoint was rattling round like it was completely buggered.

I got the balljoints and ends from Milner, and I must admit to being very impressed indeed with the quality of the bits. Nice to see grease nipples provided with the track rod ends too!

I came home cos of my lip, but 'spanner dave' is pressing on looking at the diff leak.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
          Track rods removed and rebuilt with new ends, steering idler replaced, drive shafts out, top ball joints replaced, and...

...top lip split open nicely (inside and outside) by a flying breaker bar when trying to remove the bolts from the diff end of the CV joint!

Nearly knocked me out cold! Still bleeding over an hour later. Guess it should be stitched but I'm sick of lip-stitches
          put a 14mm spanner on the nut, turn the road wheel in the direction to undo the nut the spanner hits on the axle frame and wala the nut cracks,nb this is how my 15 year old son worked that one out. honest.
          JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

14mm? You got the right nuts? These are 19mm. Had a spanner on the bolt head and turned the axle to jam the spanner against wishbone, and a long extension on the nut, then the breaker bar.

The wheels were off to remove top balljoint to replace, and give space to remove shaft / UJ. As directed by Tony when I went to his place years ago to get him to do the CV boots.

Tell your lad he can come and do mine next time. I'll give him a tenner and a bag of wine gums

To be honest, the ball on the end of the breaker bar is a bit crap and tends to pop out under pressure. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. At least now, I look even 'arder than I did before
            Last edited by Apache; 3 July 2009, 20:32.

Comment

ooohh andy vat founds paynfool (ibv viff how your fpeaking wiff a fat lip)
              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

14mm? You got the right nuts? These are 19mm. Had a spanner on the bolt head and turned the axle to jam the spanner against wishbone, and a long extension on the nut, then the breaker bar.

The wheels were off to remove top balljoint to replace, and give space to remove shaft / UJ. As directed by Tony when I went to his place years ago to get him to do the CV boots.

Tell your lad he can come and do mine next time. I'll give him a tenner and a bag of wine gums

To be honest, the ball on the end of the breaker bar is a bit crap and tends to pop out under pressure. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. At least now, I look even 'arder than I did before
                sorry he tells me they are 17mm and i have told him not to take sweets from strange looking men
                JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

Ouch bet that made you sware. I used a long extension and a rattle gun, easy.
                  monstercreations.org.uk

Comment

Ouch Andy,

I'm sorry but such an action has to be put forward for IOTY

Trev
                    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom View Post
                      long extension and a rattle gun, easy.
                      Made me say a few things while I was lying there watching birdies circle around my head...

Until the insurance co. get their finger out, it's hand tools only for me.

We're now just waiting for the seal anyway. Shaft came out easy enough - with the help of a 3ft pry bar
                      Last edited by Apache; 5 July 2009, 19:38.

Comment

Made me say a few things while I was lying there watching birdies circle around my head...

Until the insurance co. get their finger out, it's hand tools only for me.

We're now just waiting for the seal anyway. Shaft came out easy enough - with the help of a 3ft pry bar
                        Oh yeah I forgot the pikeys had visited you and rinsed your tools. Sorry about that. Hope you get sorted soon.
                        monstercreations.org.uk

Comment

Track rods removed and rebuilt with new ends
                          Did you have any trouble getting them out of the adjuster tubes? I was going to replace mine next weekend with a complete new track rod. Only inner joint has gone. I soaked the adjuster tube with plus gas and tried to free it up to see if i could get away with only ordering one end. Hardley any noticeable corrosion but wouldn't shift. How did you get yours to shift?

Comment

Same thing. Squirt penetrating oil into slots in tube and wait. What are you using to try and turn the tubes? A stillson works.

Comment

A stillson works.
                              Was using pipe grip - not enough leverage. Just remembered i have my dads old stilsons (24" i think) i'll give them ago tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X