No announcement yet.

any electricians in the house tonight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any electricians in the house tonight?

is a person not qualified in electrical installation
    allowed to do an installation including 13amp sockets and lights to existing circuits within a commercial building that is used by the public.
    if not where can i find the relevant legislation which will back this point up please??
    Enjoying Life after Cancer
    Pops

Originally posted by pops View Post
    is a person not qualified in electrical installation
    allowed to do an installation including 13amp sockets and lights to existing circuits within a commercial building that is used by the public.
    if not where can i find the relevant legislation which will back this point up please??
    Hi Pops
    Im an NICEIC qualified sparks.
    Yes you can but it has to be verified inspected and certified by someone like me who holds the relevant qualifications. ie CG L3 2382 and 2392. You must follow the regulations in the design and construction in accordance with BS7671:2008 and the "On-site Guide" but these are generally held by Electricians only as BS7671 costs about £75 ans the OSG about £25
    Your best bet is to get a qualified spark like myself to do the work. At least it will be done properly and you'll get the appropriate certificates from them to prove the work is carried out correctly.

Relevant legislation is the "Electricity at Work Act 1989" where work has to be undertaken by competent persons. The definition of competent in this case means qualified in a relevant electrical city and guilds Level 3 exam and there are too many to mention here.
    If you need further info pm me or get in touch on my business mobile 07984 532188

Rick
    Last edited by RickB; 24 June 2009, 21:31.
    Do you know what "Nemesis" means?

Comment

I might have read this wrong, but I dont reckon old Pops has any intentions of wiring anything. Looks to me like he either wants to grass someone up, or hes looking for an opportunity to say "told you so" to some amateur spark.

Bogus
      Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
        I might have read this wrong, but I dont reckon old Pops has any intentions of wiring anything. Looks to me like he either wants to grass someone up, or hes looking for an opportunity to say "told you so" to some amateur spark.

Bogus
        No your spot on
        Pops

Comment

trouble is, you're not gonna find many sparks that will sign off other peoples work, unless they know them and how they work.
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man View Post
            trouble is, you're not gonna find many sparks that will sign off other peoples work, unless they know them and how they work.
            Perhaps.
            If I'm called out to verify other peoples wiring, their efforts generally prove to be incorrect and unsafe. The Regs are quite strict on design and so the calculations for loading, cable length, distances travelled under lagging or through conduit include derating factors which are not available to the general public and as I mentioned before, appear in the BS7671:2008.
            I've seen alot of wiring where folk think they've done a good safe job, but have buried the whole 15m run under the insulation in the loft. This de-rates the current carrying capacity in half and you can cause fires.
            If Pops has been asked to carry out wiring by (a) The boss at work or (b) has had a buillder/plumber/other trade to offer to do the work at home then, in the case of (a) Politely tell him/her to get stuffed and get a proper sparky or (b) See note (a)!!!!
            Do you know what "Nemesis" means?

Comment

Originally posted by RickB View Post
              Perhaps.
              If I'm called out to verify other peoples wiring, their efforts generally prove to be incorrect and unsafe. The Regs are quite strict on design and so the calculations for loading, cable length, distances travelled under lagging or through conduit include derating factors which are not available to the general public and as I mentioned before, appear in the BS7671:2008.
              I've seen alot of wiring where folk think they've done a good safe job, but have buried the whole 15m run under the insulation in the loft. This de-rates the current carrying capacity in half and you can cause fires.
              If Pops has been asked to carry out wiring by (a) The boss at work or (b) has had a buillder/plumber/other trade to offer to do the work at home then, in the case of (a) Politely tell him/her to get stuffed and get a proper sparky or (b) See note (a)!!!!
              NOT ME i Have got 16th Edition but that dont make me a sparks do it
              i not doing this job nor would i as i said this is being done in a place where the public are very present A HOSPITAL
              Pops

Comment

Working...
              X