sun systems virtual box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sun systems virtual box

someone on here recommended this program. it has to be one of the worst virtual OS programs i have ever used.
    the reasons im now re-building my virtual machine onto microsofts virtual pc is for the following:
    - virtual PC seems to use a lot of cpu cycles
    - memory leak from the host machine
    - SLOW guest OS. when i say slow i mean SLOW!
    - the longer the guest OS / virtual box is running the slower the host gets, to the point where my sound loops occasionally.

i am going back to virtual PC because on my vista host machine, i can run windows server 2003 virtually as well as windows xp guest machines simultaneously and the host does not slow down at all. i allocated 192mb ram to each guest and thats what they use from the host and no more. right now i cannot run two virtual machines

so i thought i would post back to tell you all how crap virtual box is.

the only perk for having virtual box is that you can run the exact same virtual OS disks in any operating system. so if i switch over to kubuntu i can still load up XP.
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Just out of curiosity, what's the point of running any virtual setup? What exactly do you need it for?

Comment

Someone on here recommended removing the anti-rollbars but I didn't do it!

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
        Just out of curiosity, what's the point of running any virtual setup? What exactly do you need it for?
        software testing, torrenting, VPNs and "all else"

i usually keep a spare unused but fully built and updated virtual XP, so when the OS breaks or something happens that i cannot fix, i just delete it, rename the backup to the other name and load it.

when i first tried virtual box it stated that it could succesfully load microsofts virtual pc hard disk files. i thought great - this will save me time building the OS. so virtual box loaded it but the screen resolution was screwed and ctr-alt-del didnt work.
        when i did get a log in box to show i couldnt log in with any account username and password.
        so i opened the same disk with virtual PC again but the disk was now corrupt as it had the same prob with virtual pc. the only thing i could do was delete it as any attempt through back doors failed. i couldnt even RDP to it.
        luckily i had a backup, so i loaded it with virtual box but it immediately placed the backup disk into the same state as the last one, so i was forced to rebuild the OS

another benefit with virtual PC is disk size management. the maximum disk size you can have is 130GB. but the dynamic disk will auto-grow. if it gets too big you can compact it again and again. virtual box doesnt allow this. if it does i havnt found it.
        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          good move i think!
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

No, get the quick disconnects instead.
            Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by slobodan View Post
              No, get the quick disconnects instead.
              so they can be stolen?
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
                so they can be stolen?
                they don't actually come off, just disco and tie up.
                Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Makes for more fun on the roundabouts!
                  I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

Originally posted by Danno View Post
                    Makes for more fun on the roundabouts!
                    plus 1
                    many fun times with slippery ground and LSD
                    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
                      software testing, torrenting, VPNs and "all else"

i usually keep a spare unused but fully built and updated virtual XP, so when the OS breaks or something happens that i cannot fix, i just delete it, rename the backup to the other name and load it.
                      Sounds like a whole lot of arsing around for no real reason. Just Ghost a freshly installed disk.

Comment

Working...
                      X