• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
    (anyhow i'd still lose)
    Me too.

Comment

Just to kind of finish this off, Koi and I have discussed on numerous occasions in the past ways to update the site. At the time I built this, proper CMS systems were few and far between and were limited in functionality 9Think PostNuke and PHPNuke. So I built the site from scratch with the exception of Coppermine and vBulletin.

I do agree things could do with a lick of paint and could probably do with some other updates but the main thing is that we shouldn't lose anything we have. The site and server is now pretty reliable (I'l probably wish I hadn't said that now) and does the basic requirements of a site like this - It's got a well functioning / well featured forum, it's got a place for document storage, links storage, pictures storage (Gallery) and I'll show you mine (Members Rigs) place where you can put on your vehicle with a bit more info than you can put in a Gallery.

I would only advocate major changes if the site became unreliable but also if the current information can be ported over to the new site - that's why I would look at Bridges - You can build Coppermine into Joomla and it will function almost as part of the system making admin easy as well as having single signon which we don't currently have. Again there is probably no better forum package than VB out there, it's streets ahead of the competition and also the risk of moving to a new package and losing all those historical posts is just too great so a bridge for VB it is too. There is nothing that I could port over all the pictures and text from the Members Rigs section - it just won't port over to anything else so VB Garage is good but a non starter, if we were starting from now then I guess I would use VB garage but As I built the members rigs section neraly 5 years ago, it wasn't available then. I know that Yotatech use it and IH8MUD used to use it.

So at the moment the options are, build the dev serever and then tweak the colours and maybe some of the other formating until Koi and I think it looks good and then port over the changes (easy when the dev server is built) or go the who hog once I have a dev server and build a totally new site with Joomla and bridge VB, Coppermine and maybe take the Members rigs across as a standalone with no ability to add anymore and then use VB Garage for new stuf - hopefully with time, most of the stuff would end up on the new format and could close down the old.

Anyway everyone, lets not get in a fight about this, Sam has a right to comment as anyone else has a right to disagree, but it's only a website, not worth falling out over.

Comment

lol amen to that.

old saying i use qiute often when building websites:

"Something aint broke, Don't fix it"

Not meant as a reason to fight but, i havent been on this forum very long so haven't seen all of the features (mainly cause i aint paid my anual fee ) but my personal opinion is; yes it could be better, but its fits its purpose as it is.
        If at first you don't succeed, redefine success

Comment

Originally posted by mousey View Post
          lol amen to that.

old saying i use qiute often when building websites:

"Something aint broke, Don't fix it"
          I guess thats what avsim thought.
          I'd hope that you would agree that if you had software running on your website with known vulnerabilities that you would patch it, if so you at least accept that the forum needs an update The additional features can be turned off, just no need to tempt fate.

Lucky, I hope you don't think i am being in any way mean, i understand the man hours it takes to do what you have done. I also hope that you know that development requires someone to question your choices. It would be cruel to you to say that everything is perfect.
          We do both want the same thing for the site, i gather, I only hope you have found it productive to have some ideas thrown at you. Also that you grasped that a suggestion is nothing more than that, i get the feeling i some how threatened to behead the first born of every forum member by suggesting the site needed TLC.

But before you do any hard work, update the damn nav menu. You have handcrafted the rigs section, you have a gallery, you have technical articles, you have a shop, let everyone that Google drops into the forum know that they can see such things!
          www.thegamingunion.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by sam View Post
            I guess thats what avsim thought.
            A crappy backup philosophy is hardly relevant. There are multiple ways a system can possibly be compromised if someone is persistent or knowledgeable enough. Unsecure, (patches may not always provide security bug fixes), BB softwares are merely one avenue, if they exist.

We do both want the same thing for the site,
            Which is? Lucky has the welfare of the site at heart. You merely seem to have stamping your opinion on it in mind so far. (Security patches suggestions exempted from that statement).

i gather, I only hope you have found it productive to have some ideas thrown at you. Also that you grasped that a suggestion is nothing more than that, i get the feeling i some how threatened to behead the first born of every forum member by suggesting the site needed TLC.
            There, however, is your problem. You seem to forget that there is always one thing more important than any damned software that may be running on the community website, and you made sure you went in with both feet first in that regard. Guaranteed to pee people off, to be honest.

But before you do any hard work, update the damn nav menu. You have handcrafted the rigs section, you have a gallery, you have technical articles, you have a shop, let everyone that Google drops into the forum know that they can see such things!
            Why? Google, and other search engines in general, are not the be all and end all. If this was an unranked or startup site, then Google may be worthwhile wasting precious time upon. Maybe Lucky ought to install VBSeo and suchlike too? Perish the thought of not having static content links to keep the engines happy.

Muppet. If you were that damned concerned about the site you would have a damned sight more than <120 posts on here. That is a good indicator of how highly you place the best interests of the forum. Styling means ferk all when compared to the actual community itself, and you have spent practically sod all time contributing to the most important factor of this, (and the most important factor on any), site. The community.

Comment

Originally posted by lucky View Post
              Just to kind of finish this off
              Errm which part of this do you not understand Sam?
              How can I be lost when I've got no where to go

Comment

Well i like it just the way it is..........and FFS dont let stein and wodders have a hand in any redesign...........not sure i could handle pink and gold glitter effect !!
                Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

i prefer it the way it is aswell
                  https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                    Well i like it just the way it is..........and FFS dont let stein and wodders have a hand in any redesign...........not sure i could handle pink and gold glitter effect !!
                    Ha ha ha an whats wrong with Pink?

I wouldn't change anythin either but it ay gonna happen so no worries.

Comment

Originally posted by Bibs View Post
                      I wouldn't change anythin either but it ay gonna happen so no worries.
                      It will at some point, but that will be Lucky's own good time. Must admit, even I like this place the way it is and I'm a right finnicky fart as a rule.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                        I'm a right finnicky fart as a rule.
                        Can't say I've ever noticed

Comment

As an IT/PC numpty....
                          I find it fine as is n seems a gremlin's got in the works again !!!!
                          Amen

There's always a Payback .... Don't know where n don't know when tho !!!!
                          Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                            Pink and gold?!

Pink an silver!!! OMG! Get it right..

Comment

why change something that dont need to change
                              if it aint broke dont fix it applies i think
                              Enjoying Life after Cancer
                              Pops

Comment

Originally posted by sam
                                sam.

Done.
                                Thanks
                                Rob Watson (forum owner and admin)

Comment

Working...
                                X