X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers Andy.

Comment

Originally posted by lucky View Post
      Once I get the dev server built I'll try out some options to see what can be done, really don't want to do it live. Would love to transfer to something like Joomla as it would be a lot easier for Koi and I to manage, I know you can get a vB bridge for Joomla or possibly move across to phpBB which works well with Joomla. You can bridge Coppermine to Joomla too so maybe there is a chance to make it work. The only problem bit would be teh Members rigs section which I built myself from scratch and would find almost impossible to port across to anything else, only possibility would be maybe to build it as standalone and run in a Joomla frame.
      It's quite hard to read the phrase 'easy to manage' when you suggest so many products at once. Thats at least four things to manage, upgrade, maintain, back up and learn rather than a potential of one. I thought you said you were pushed for time

I was looking at whats on the site, the members rig suggestion i came across was vb garage, it'd look something like this but for your purposes you would want the paid for version, not a fortune. I'd guess most people will have encountered it before. Certainly for the for sale section it does at least suggest what information is relevant for a vehicle!

The files section is yet another nice thing, it would have to be forum driven so people could style things, but potentially you have at least the .docs submitted as forum threads and in turn become web pages. As files Google can only find the file name.
      www.thegamingunion.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by sam View Post
        It's quite hard to read the phrase 'easy to manage' when you suggest so many products at once. Thats at least four things to manage, upgrade, maintain, back up and learn rather than a potential of one. I thought you said you were pushed for time
        Bridging, by virtue, integrates, hence it becomes more like two things to manage, not four. Or are you suggesting that all parts other than the forum should be dropped? You're suggesting changing practically everything one moment and then nitpicking when he mentions specific possibilities. Make your mind up what you're suggesting.

Comment

Fight fight fight fight!!

Matt, stop running behind the sofa everytime you post a put-down.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
            Fight fight fight fight!!

Matt, stop running behind the sofa everytime you post a put-down.
            He'd gone offline when I'd finished composing that post. Besides, usually, it seems to be the only time anyone ever responds to anything I write, when I go offline.

Comment

Mind you, I could log off now he's replying, just to be really annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                Mind you, I could log off now he's replying, just to be really annoying.
                I assure you that you can be just that without clicking on the screen

Originally posted by MattF
                Bridging, by virtue, integrates, hence it becomes more like two things to manage, not four.
                I'll save you a lecture and assume that to be true, you are still saying doubling the necessary workload is something to aim for? Give them a break, make it straight forward.

Or are you suggesting that all parts other than the forum should be dropped
                By dropped i assume you mean deletion, if you've been keeping up i have suggested ways in which things can come together as one in a lossless fashion. Certainly systems can be replaced, it depends how technical a discussion you would like.

The site is old, Lucky accepts that, in the interim between the site being made and now a lot has changed. Given the free alternatives that are available I personally don't think it right that Lucky continues to try to re-invent things that are now equivalent to the wheel.
                That is not what he started out doing but the world has moved at a faster pace than one man could ever be expected to keep up with.

You're suggesting changing practically everything one moment and then nitpicking when he mentions specific possibilities. Make your mind up what you're suggesting.
                I'm suggesting development, i know you are relatively new to the place but it hasn't changed in... well.... ever. You probably wont recall the rather frank discussions that transpired during the outages that used to occur, by the time you joined things were almost normal.

Development is not standing still, standing still on the internet is like standing on the street corner asking 12 year old's to slap you around the face with a large wet fish. Whilst it could be a nice diversion for an afternoon it isn't as great as it may initially sound.

I personally don't think its nit picking to highlight that multiple systems are more work than one system. It'd be cruel, it is more normal to have a website as a single entity, not website, gallery, forum...etc. as seperate entitys, certainly not style sheets!
                Lucky has stated he hasn't got the time or facilities currently to do much, i hardly cut his arm off if I do a little research or make suggestions. It is more productive than, as Bushwhacker says, "Fight fight fight fight!!".

I still cant quite remember posting that I had just popped up mount Sinai, been handed a list of 'must do' and offered you hell if you wouldn't listen.
                Last edited by sam; 20 June 2009, 02:48.
                www.thegamingunion.co.uk

Comment

...as seperate entitys,
                  Entities...
                  Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

I assure you that you can be just that without clicking on the screen
                    I know.

Comment

it depends how technical a discussion you would like.
                      Go for it, I'm all ears. Bearing in mind that you appear to be communicating with someone who doesn't have your level of knowledge, so laymans terms if possible, so to speak.

Comment

I wasn't going to enter this disscussion as I am not technically gifted in web design, so half the time I don't have a clue what's being proposed in the way of changes.

What I would like to say is that after nearly 4 years of being a forum member, and being very happy with the way things are, I can't understand why someone who has been a member since 2003, with just over 100 post's, should come along and start complaining about the forum syle?

If you ain't happy here mate go and design your own forum, and see how many people from here migrate to it!

Perhaps this isn't as eloquently put as some of the previous posts in this thread, but then again I normally just come on here to converse with on line friends and not to demonstrate how clever I am.
                        Last edited by Scorpion; 20 June 2009, 19:10.
                        'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion View Post
                          I wasn't going to enter this disscussion as I am not technically gifted in web design, so half the time I don't have a clue what's being proposed in the way of change's.

What I would like to say is that after nearly 4 years of being a forum member, and being very happy with the way things are, I can't understand why someone who has been a member since 2003, with just over 100 post's, should come along and start complaining about the forum syle?

If you ain't happy here mate go and design your own forum, and see how many people from here migrate to it!

Perhaps this isn't as eloquently put as some of the previous posts in this thread, but then again I normally just come on here to converse with on line friends and not to demonstrate how clever I am.
                          You dont have to know how it works to know you like it Jim, like me your happy with the site as is so WTF 's this guy keeping on about? tips and advice is always handy and welcome and if enough people like the idea then why not adopt it, from what i've read (aint bothered to keep up with this particuler thread btw) most want the site left alone, i'm happy with it and more to the point even happier theat it's not crashing every soddin five minuits anymore,
                          put the dick measureing contest to bed FFS
                          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                            put the dick measureing contest to bed FFS

A good old todger size contest always livens, (no pun intended ), things up a bit.

I'm actually intrigued regarding some of his opinions.

Comment

Just on that note Ian, can one have a size contest against oneself and always claim victory due to lack of competion, or would that technically not be a contest?

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                                Just on that note Ian, can one have a size contest against oneself and always claim victory due to lack of competion, or would that technically not be a contest?
                                It would only be a contest if measurements were taken on different occaisions and with different sceanerios, ie:- measured whilst watching the missis undress and then whilst watching some bird in a bedroom window accross from the bus stop an extra inch and a half can be gained with the right encouragement

(anyhow i'd still lose)
                                Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Working...
                                X