why are?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why are?

some mechanics so bloomin heavy handed? I just changed the oil and filter on my car, no way was the filter coming off without butchering it, got myself and the car covered in oil when the canister burst while trying to knock it undone with hammer and large prybar, done it now and had a mess to clean up

Ah, I see a soapbox and Apache appearing anytime soon. It's not just mechanics but most who insist on doing that with filters. They should only ever be put on hand tight, but few do.

Comment

to be fair it probably was hand tight......................... if king kong tightened it!!

and I've found I need a new steering idler arm, so a few jobs still to do

Comment

Originally posted by mickyd View Post
        to be fair it probably was hand tight......................... if king kong tightened it!!

and I've found I need a new steering idler arm, so a few jobs still to do

unless you get the kit from roughtrax - its 2 collars. fill the shaft (ooh er) with grease first, fit the collars, should be good as new...... and it saves 50 squid, so the conservationists will be happy.

wish i knew before i bought a new one.

DOH!, as they say
        If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

Originally posted by mickyd View Post
          some mechanics so bloomin heavy handed? I just changed the oil and filter on my car, no way was the filter coming off without butchering it, got myself and the car covered in oil when the canister burst while trying to knock it undone with hammer and large prybar, done it now and had a mess to clean up
          i put an oil filter on once, and about 6 months later when i tried to remove it it just wouldnt come off! i got oil everywhere when i split it trying to get it off. i ended up jabbing a screw driver through it and using two hands as leverage but it was just tearing through it. ive put plenty of filters on before without issues taking them off. i think the car tightened it. this car used to shake engine mounts loose as well as snap the alternator bracket on a regular basis and also shake the alternator bolts loose. no matter if i used locktight, locktight just postponed it for a bit. dangerous thing - i was timing the engine up at 4500 rpm and there was this rattling that kept ever so slightly getting louder and louder. i tried to find it for a good few minutes with the engine at 4500 rpm, i put my head in the engine bay to try and locate the noise when one of the bolts holding the water pump pulley on to the water pump shook loose and was like a pinball in the engine bay before shooting out accross the workshop. my head must have only been a few inches from it at the time, im really surprised it didnt hit me
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Coating the rubber seal with fresh engine oil prevents it sticking.

Comment

The one I bought (some generic brand) actually came with vaseline or some sort of clear grease covering the O ring, wrapped in cling film.
              First time I've seen that.
              Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post

i was going to say that! (i expect i will at some point)
                Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                  this is what its supposed to do anyway
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by slobodan View Post
                    The one I bought (some generic brand) actually came with vaseline or some sort of clear grease covering the O ring, wrapped in cling film.
                    First time I've seen that.
                    are you sure you bought an oil filter?
                    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
                      are you sure you bought an oil filter?
                      The OEM ones have that on them. The open end of the filter has a plastic film protecting it and keeping that lubricant in place.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                        The OEM ones have that on them. The open end of the filter has a plastic film protecting it and keeping that lubricant in place.
                        i would have that lube lab tested
                        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                        X