motorcycle rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motorcycle rack

any of you guys fitted a rack to the back of a surf to carry a motorbike or indeed can it be done...weight etc

a mate has a toyota works van and has made something up that fits on tow hitch plus other anchors??. It gives a flat platform that you can roll the bike onto via a ramp and then various straps, uprights secure in position.

the bike in question is about 150kg which on its own would not have thought would be a problem but it will overhang the back by 2 - 3 ft.

thinking of camping but would like to take a Gilera or Scooter to run around on once there. I have a small trailer which I could adapt but if dooable would be nice to just sit the bike on the back of the second gen.

suspect insurance may be an issue but then again is it that much different that having a pushbike rack with a couple of mountain bikes on

any suggestions or details of a kit or "off the shelf" product would be appreciated

cheers

medieval dave had one fitted to the back of his surf. you can buy them pre-made but only to fit the models with the underslung spare wheel.

theres a thread in the for sale section with a pic or two if i remember rightly.

Comment

yes mine is underslung

found link to a 2004 add but the link to detail seems to be broken!

looking to buy or fabricate if i can get some detail

Comment

try here

and heres the thread i wasw referring to.

Comment

thanks for your help

unfortunately it appears the fitting listed is designed for a normal bike ie large wheeled and not a smaller wheeled scooter/twist and rip.

I have seen some that utilise what looks like a "tread plate" base but not sure how it is carried, equally it needs to be demountable otherwise I can see the shins taking a battering!!

It maybe that these are bespoke fabricated units but with the type of construction I have in mind I guess anything inc pushbikes could be carried.

Just not sure how or where the best place to fix and carry the load

Ideas please

Comment

Working...
          X