fao apache

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fao apache

if my memory serves me right, i think you have a radio scanner fitted in your truck, apart from the obvious aviation, is there anything else you would recommend to listen in to?
    I have a yupiteru mvt7100 which is quite a capable handheld scanner.

The one I have in my truck is a fairly cheap (£20), fairly old Radio Shack one. I have around 60 civil airband channels, and about a dozen emergency services (ambulance & fire, plod are on Tetra now, which is secure).

Military is worth a look if you're near a base, but have you done any data decoding? ACARS (a civil air reporting system) is worth a look, as are the pager networks (that 'orrible noise around 153MHz). You just need to sort out a discriminator output from your radio - see here for info on how to do that, and the free software you need to decode said signals.

There is then obviously CBs down around 27MHz, and then there's some 'stuff' around 30MHz and 45MHz, which might appeal to the voyeur but makes me slightly uncomfortable.

A good book for frequencies is this

One more thing. If you haven't already, get yourself a decent outdoor antenna. You'll be amazed at what you can pick up then.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
      The one I have in my truck is a fairly cheap (£20), fairly old Radio Shack one. I have around 60 civil airband channels, and about a dozen emergency services (ambulance & fire, plod are on Tetra now, which is secure).

Military is worth a look if you're near a base, but have you done any data decoding? ACARS (a civil air reporting system) is worth a look, as are the pager networks (that 'orrible noise around 153MHz). You just need to sort out a discriminator output from your radio - see here for info on how to do that, and the free software you need to decode said signals.

There is then obviously CBs down around 27MHz, and then there's some 'stuff' around 30MHz and 45MHz, which might appeal to the voyeur but makes me slightly uncomfortable.

A good book for frequencies is this

One more thing. If you haven't already, get yourself a decent outdoor antenna. You'll be amazed at what you can pick up then.

OK, my curiosity is well and truly piqued! What sort of 'stuff' is around 30MHz and 40MHz??

Comment

if i remember rightly i think that some analogue cordless phones operate around that frequency.
        no I haven't tried data decoding but have heard of it, i think i was reading something about picking up, i think it was, telemetry transmissions from aircraft.
        I do have a small outdoor aerial which makes hearing luton airport transmissions much better as I live on the flightpath, can now hear the tower and the pilots rather than just the pilots.
        Much to my wifes annoyance i did take my scanner on hols the other year to weymouth, listening to the coastguard and harbour control was interesting, I'm going down to hayle in cornwall in about 5 weeks time, I'll see what I can get down there.
        It's a bummer that plod went tetra, on a friday night round here was much more interesting than the TV.
        Last edited by mickyd; 10 June 2009, 13:43.

Comment

Yes, ~30MHz is analogue cordless phones, and there is still a lot about! ~40MHz is baby monitors, wireless headphones, some wireless mics etc.

Our local chinese use a baby monitor to pass orders from the counter to the kitchen. They sell a lot of pork balls!

In all seriousness though, never pass any sensitive info across an analogue cordless phone line. I use DECT, but I believe there is software to decode that now - Scary!
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

lol, you say about baby monitors, a few years ago it was in the news that a family who live near to luton airport were visited by the authorities, as a few pilots had reported hearing a baby crying whilst communicating with the control tower, it turns out that their baby monitor was manufactured on a frequency that should only be used for aviation, I believe that the CAA had some words with Tomy.
            you only have to own a scanner to realise what can be heard if you know where to look, I like the idea of your permanent truck mounted scanner

Comment

Originally posted by mickyd View Post
              It's a bummer that plod went tetra, on a friday night round here was much more interesting than the TV.
              Ahhh the memories of running up and down the old town high street.
              Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by slobodan View Post
                Ahhh the memories of running up and down the old town high street.
                on the right side of the law or the wrong?

Comment

Working...
                X