No announcement yet.

caravan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have a twin axle with a proper bed and lived in in for over 2 years. Apache thinks we nice gypsies though as we managed to buy him a beer once!

Next year, Predictable Bob and myself are teaming up to see who can hold up the traffic the longest on motorways. At the moment we are working on the best ways to irrate people on A roads but this has not been finalised yet as PB is suggesting we race neck and neck down the A roads thus preventing cars overtaking us and cars from the opposite direction finding a new route through the corn fields. I had to advise PB that this may infringe on some Health & Safety regulation!

Comment

hodgkinson

check for damp look under seating near shower in roof cuboards if walls at all sponge steer clear also alot of caravans have engraved windows showing
      age and chassis if missing steer clear also(depending on age) many caravans are a C.H.R.I.S. REGISTERED this is like a caravan log book we bougth a adria adora last year brilliant van and easy to manover considering size 6 berth single axle.

Comment

You mean CRIS registered. Best buy a damp meter for checking as a visual inspection does nto show the underlying condiotn of the framework. Loads of advcie of various caravan forums like ukcampsite and even Practical Caravan.

Comment

thanks for the advice, i'm still stuck between the '6k buys a lot of comfy holidyas' and 'a caravan looks good fun and we would use it lots' decision.

summer will probabaly come and go before i decide!!!

Comment

Originally posted by fergus View Post
            thanks for the advice, i'm still stuck between the '6k buys a lot of comfy holidyas' and 'a caravan looks good fun and we would use it lots' decision.

Almost bought this one yesterday...
            http://www.newportcaravans.com/sell/...ore.php?id=173

It was immaculate, but gotta get rid of the sheddy one first.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              Almost bought this one yesterday...
              http://www.newportcaravans.com/sell/...ore.php?id=173

It was immaculate, but gotta get rid of the sheddy one first.
              Looks nice that Vince a bit like mine, thats an Elddis too.
              monstercreations.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by fergus View Post

Have a look at http://www.chichester-caravans.co.uk...nch=Bromsgrove. We ive in Worceste4rshire and if you want me to check out a caravan for you before doing the travelling, I don't mind. We purchased a cheapie reasonable 12 year old caravan for £1500 in 2004 to see if we would like caravaning in the UK. We then traded it in for a new caravan getting £1500 for it 6 weeks later.
                Maybe this is something you could consider. Buy a cheapie in good conditon for under £2000 and then lash out on a better caravan. The advantage of this is that you then will know what all your requirements are when you buy a better and bigger caravan.

Comment

We brought our first van 15 years ago, Ace Pioneer, brought from a "gypsie" for £300. Glass windows, no fridge. The awning was that old it looked like a punch and judy show!!

can honestly say had the best holidays ever, eventually upgraded but was never the same. Strange how we always ended up out of the way at the back of the caravan sites!..

Comment

Originally posted by Surf01 View Post
                    Next year, Predictable Bob and myself are teaming up to see who can hold up the traffic the longest on motorways. At the moment we are working on the best ways to irrate people on A roads but this has not been finalised yet as PB is suggesting we race neck and neck down the A roads thus preventing cars overtaking us and cars from the opposite direction finding a new route through the corn fields. I had to advise PB that this may infringe on some Health & Safety regulation!

Nah, it's not a problem .....

At least not for me - I'm having the nearside !

Anyway - caravanning isn't for everyone BUT I've met precious few that have tried it and not enjoyed it. I was as anti caravan as you can get and just gave in for a quiet life - 10 years later we still prefer being away in the van. Hotels are fine - until you HAVE to spend a few months in them and at that point you realise that there are much better options.

If Chichester at Bromsgrove are as good as Chichester in Winchester then they're well worth a visit - we bought our first van from them in 1999 and had no hesitation in going back to them for the replacement in 2007

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

we got a caravan this year to replace the trailer tent...

bought trailer tent for £150... eBay'd for £620!!

got quite an old compass 2 berth caravan for £1200 with new awning, double glazed windows, hot water, shower, toilet, TV, cooker, fridge and plenty of kitchen stuff (plates, cutlery, kettle toaster etc)

it's been brilliant!... been away twice and off again this weekend... just leave all the stuff in it and you just need to pack a bag of clothes and hook up... you're off!

already thinking of getting something nicer and maybe a little bigger for next year! (but wanna go on a cruise too!!)
                      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Quick question from a current non-caravanner (towed one a couple of times years and years ago, enjoyed it then, but the wife is not keen).

What are the ongoing costs to owning a caravan? (aside from the standard wear and tear)?

e.g.....what does it cost to insure, and what does it cost to store?

thanks

Comment

Off the top of my head:

Insurance (Pikeys nick caravans !)
                          Servicing (Once a year whether you use it or not)
                          Recovery Service (Check the small print)
                          Storage (If you don't like a big sign outside advertising when you're away)
                          Club membership (Cheaper caravanning)

Obviously the amount you pay will vary dependent on your van, location etc For us it comes to around:

Insurance - £400
                          Servicing - £170
                          Recovery - it's included in our cars BUT you must check the small print !
                          Storage - £430
                          Club Membership - £37

To put it in perspective, our van's 18 months old and cost £15k, the storage charge is ridiculously high - we know people that pay £150 pa for much better security and facilities (But not near Andover !)

We haven't got out as much as we'd like the last couple of years but we'd normally hope to get out at least 50 nights in the year

Last edited by Predictable Bob; 12 June 2009, 13:17.
                          Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Caravans are cool

Only snag is, this isn't a good time to buy an old one.

Because of the recession, and the fact that two manufacturers went bust last year, the strength of the Euro etc it means that the staple 10-15 Year old "starter" vans are in very short supply and are selling for an absolute premium at the moment.
                            This knocks on to higher value S/H vans too but if you're spending nearer 10K then bargains are out there.

Should be a better situation nearer Christmas when everythings stabilized and there's more available on the market but, of course, that won't solve your cheap holiday problem this Year.

Anyway, good luck if you decide to get one and have a good read on all the problems first as mentioned above.

I used to hate the bl**dy things with a passion but now I'm hooked

Cheers

Chris
                            Signature stolen along with Surf...

Comment

Thanks for the info PB......although I am not minted so will be after a cheaper one.

And thanks corsetts......shame as I was hoping to keep it to below £1500.

....might just pick up a real cheapie (£500 or so) for a few weekends away with the kids to see whether they enjoy it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Ava_Banana View Post
                                Thanks for the info PB......although I am not minted so will be after a cheaper one.

And thanks corsetts......shame as I was hoping to keep it to below £1500.

....might just pick up a real cheapie (£500 or so) for a few weekends away with the kids to see whether they enjoy it or not.
                                Spot on. Thats the right way to start, buy a cheap but usable 'van first to see if you like the idea, then upgrade when they're 'out of season'.

S'wot we're doing.

Comment

Working...
                                X