A Point of confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Point of confusion

Can someone clear up a bit of confusion i'm having about the gearing - checked previous posts and can't find the answer...

I keep hearing that using the 4x4 mode on tarmac will only lead to disaster as the chins get wound up - however i've just been chatting to someone who seems to think that this is on the 1st and 2nd gen models only, and it is fine to do it on a 3rd gen model.

So who's telling the truth?

You have a 3rd gen?

Only one sure fire way to find out......

Post back up afterwards, (about a mile with plenty of turns ought to do it)

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by tootall View Post
      Can someone clear up a bit of confusion i'm having about the gearing - checked previous posts and can't find the answer...

I keep hearing that using the 4x4 mode on tarmac will only lead to disaster as the chins get wound up - however i've just been chatting to someone who seems to think that this is on the 1st and 2nd gen models only, and it is fine to do it on a 3rd gen model.

So who's telling the truth?
      Third gens have a different system, (the addition of a centre diff, I believe), to first and second gens. One of the other gaygen owners will tell you the specifics, but they won't get diff wind up as do the 1st and 2nd gens.

Comment

But then, why use 4wd when you dont need to? Just gulps extra fuel for no good reason.

If its slippy enough to NEED 4wd, then a 2nd gen can do it as well.

Sorry, just never understood the 'I can use 4wd on dry tarmac' mentality.
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

well in truth - i'm worrying because as the weather was so damn sh**ty on the way back from picking her up (torrential rain / standing water on A1 etc) i did actually have her in 4WD for a lot of the journey as she just felt that bit more solid and in touch with the tarmec....

and yes it is a 3rd gen.

She's still running fine as far as i can tell and the journey was 380km and i used half a tank of fuel which i thought was pretty good going considering she was in 4WD most of the way...

Comment

well in truth - i'm worrying because as the weather was so damn sh**ty on the way back from picking her up (torrential rain / standing water on A1 etc) i did actually have her in 4WD for a lot of the journey as she just felt that bit more solid and in touch with the tarmec....
            i would hope so, having 4 wheels pulling you forward.
            i know the feelings, all these buttons just waiting to be pressed
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Yep, just press the button on the transfer lever and you get AWD and you can drive as normal, any speed just like an Audi. Good for slippery conditions and towing.

Comment

Great - i knew you guys would have the answer

Comment

Word of warning!! - I have a 3rd gen (an early one) which does not have the centre lockable diff...it has 3rd gen running gear, but the transfer lever is like the 2nd gen ones.

....so not all 3rd gens are born equal....and not all can be run on tarmac in 4wd mode.

The way to check is to confirm what decals you have on the top of your transfer lever....mine only has the same as 2nd gen.

Comment

Originally posted by Ava_Banana View Post
                    Word of warning!! - I have a 3rd gen (an early one) which does not have the centre lockable diff...it has 3rd gen running gear, but the transfer lever is like the 2nd gen ones.

....so not all 3rd gens are born equal....and not all can be run on tarmac in 4wd mode.

The way to check is to confirm what decals you have on the top of your transfer lever....mine only has the same as 2nd gen.

ok thats great - but can someone tell me the difference in the decals then?

Sorry - but i do have the excuse i'm a noob

Comment

ok thats great - but can someone tell me the difference in the decals then?

Sorry - but i do have the excuse i'm a noob

If your short transfer lever is on the passenger side and it has loads of options printed on the knob then yours is the latest type.

Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 8 June 2009, 20:40.

Comment

I,ll be generous here and assume that theres a "work in progress" starting underside, outside followed by inside. That gaiter round the 4WD lever looks like it could use a "skoosh" of shining juice, the plastic around the gear levers in general look a little hmm, shall we say , less than perfect, and that mat, well, least said the better.

Bogus
                        Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                          But then, why use 4wd when you dont need to? Just gulps extra fuel for no good reason.

If its slippy enough to NEED 4wd, then a 2nd gen can do it as well.

Sorry, just never understood the 'I can use 4wd on dry tarmac' mentality.
                          Its not a mentality, its a fact and therefore easily understood, so there

Bogus
                          Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
                            I,ll be generous here and assume that theres a "work in progress" starting underside, outside followed by inside. That gaiter round the 4WD lever looks like it could use a "skoosh" of shining juice, the plastic around the gear levers in general look a little hmm, shall we say , less than perfect, and that mat, well, least said the better.

Bogus
                            That photo was taken buy the previous owner a couple of years ago.
                            It's all clean now and the carpets have been dyed black.

Comment

By not buy...goodnight all
                              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X