Opionions plz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
    Has to be twin axle over that weight as well as brakes.
    Might be okay if you just carry your packed lunch in the trailer.
    Now this could be the crunch point....I want to load it big time tent, bikes, windsurfer, kayak.....and all the rest of the parafinalia that goes with camping...no point in doing all tha work and not be able to use it!!

If I stripped all the interior and everything else not needed fuel tank and anything else I could remove then any guesses what the weight would be??

Cheers
    Mark

Comment

rear axle and dif weigh a fair bit...unless you can fab up breaking the load you would be able to put on it would be too small to be worth it, saying that it shouldnt be too hard to fab up the existing handbrake cables to an overrun hitch...one of those with jocky wheel will set you back about £130 and you need to be able to weld to convert an a frame from the chassis rails or to join on to them with a frame or pole
      Did I mention I have a BLUE one
      Tony

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires View Post
        rear axle and dif weigh a fair bit...unless you can fab up breaking the load you would be able to put on it would be too small to be worth it, saying that it shouldnt be too hard to fab up the existing handbrake cables to an overrun hitch...one of those with jocky wheel will set you back about £130 and you need to be able to weld to convert an a frame from the chassis rails or to join on to them with a frame or pole
        So if it was a braked trailer then the weight is not such as issue...

Comment

Originally posted by madcampbell View Post
          So if it was a braked trailer then the weight is not such as issue...
          correct! you would have to comply with train weight and there is a rule about trailer weight even if braked but as I have seen 1 surf pulling another on a trailer I think it is quite high, I am sure that someone will be along in a mo....unfortunately I only know the regs on small trailers, I think you could save weight and drag by reducing the width of the tyres and rims...perhaps off a pick up
          Tony

Comment

Here is a vit turned into a trailer tent

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...trailer090.jpg
            Brian

Comment

im pretty sure if you stripped out all the interior panels, roof trim,removed the interior skin from the doors and got rid of some of the glass and leccy motors,and replaced with sheet steel,removed the wireing loom and diff,and just plated it over you could loose quite a bit of the weight and as someone already said use the original brakes coupled up to a braked hitch you should be ok.TONY N is doing one at the mo,dont know how far hes got with it.
              www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
                im pretty sure if you stripped out all the interior panels, roof trim,removed the interior skin from the doors and got rid of some of the glass and leccy motors,and replaced with sheet steel,removed the wireing loom and diff,and just plated it over you could loose quite a bit of the weight and as someone already said use the original brakes coupled up to a braked hitch you should be ok.TONY N is doing one at the mo,dont know how far hes got with it.
                Thanks for that I had a feeling that if I stripped enough out of it I should be ok weight wise especially if I do the brakes. I don't want to load it with bricks or major weights just bulky camping kit so won't be too close to the limit

Cheers
                Mark

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
                  dont you need the diff to suport the half shafts? and do you need lube in the diff housing?
                  Tony

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires View Post
                    dont you need the diff to suport the half shafts? and do you need lube in the diff housing?
                    you could put in a solid shaft right through and let it run on the greased bearings.
                    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

This sort of idea had crossed my mind recently too. Would love to have a trailer you could stick LC springs on to match the towing Surf and with all the articulation to make it capable off road.

Cost put me off so thinking a Sankey instead

And before the crys of 'why have an offroad trailer in this country?'

Just because

Comment

When you get your offroad trailer please, pleeeeaaasssee, come to the Clog with it.

I want to show my friends.
                        Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Working...
                        X