Hot start problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
    The idea of the resistor is that you 'modify' the coil to operate at a voltage lower than 12 V and then use the resistor to get to that voltage under normal conditions.
    When you're cranking the engine with the starter the battery voltage drops and hence the sparks get weaker. To combat this you bypass the resistor as long as the starter is operating.
    This gives you pretty much similar sparks during cranking and normal operation. It doesn't matter if you're running electronic or mechanical points, it works the same way for both.

Also, a very hot engine underneath the carb/s, plus the hot weather, causes fuel vapour (fog) to form and swirl around in the venturi of the carbs when the engine is off. This effectively prevents air mixing with the fresh fuel when restarting the hot engine. Holding the throttle pedal to the floor when cranking opens the butterfly/s in the carb, usually allowing the vapours to escape.

As the engine cools, the vapour condenses allowing air in from the intake when the engine is started.
    Well I am totaly lost now. You don't have a wiring diagram do you Vince? Mark? anyone?
    monstercreations.org.uk

Comment

Buy a coil marked 'for use with ballast resistor' and should be 9 volt .Buy a ballast resistor and fit this in line before the + terminal on coil . Then a 8 amp or higher wire from the starter (which is only live under cranking) to the + terminal of coil .The connector on starter you need is usually a small Lucas connector or sometimes a bullet type connector .Dont connect to the starter connector for cranking or your starter will not disengage . NOTE : not all starters have the extra terminal you need for 12 volt supply on cranking .

Hope this helps .

My 4Runner uses a ballased system so you could buy a coil and ballast resistor for a Hilux pick up and have some Toyota bits back on it !!
      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2 View Post
        Buy a coil marked 'for use with ballast resistor' and should be 9 volt .Buy a ballast resistor and fit this in line before the + terminal on coil . Then a 8 amp or higher wire from the starter (which is only live under cranking) to the + terminal of coil .The connector on starter you need is usually a small Lucas connector or sometimes a bullet type connector .Dont connect to the starter connector for cranking or your starter will not disengage . NOTE : not all starters have the extra terminal you need for 12 volt supply on cranking .

Hope this helps .

My 4Runner uses a ballased system so you could buy a coil and ballast resistor for a Hilux pick up and have some Toyota bits back on it !!
        So just to double check that this is my problem the next time I get it hot and won't start if I connect a fresh battery to the coil and crank it it should start?
        Therefore my battery cranking the engine and a seperate fresh one powering the coil should replicate a jump start?
        monstercreations.org.uk

Comment

Working...
        X