Attention carpenter/builders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attention carpenter/builders

I need a bit of advise as to the best hinge to use when I hang my new wooden garage doors . They are 7' wide as a pair . I did buy some steel 4" hinges and was going to put 3 on each door . Now I am thinking I should fit band and hook type . Any help appreciated .
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Originally posted by Vagrant No2 View Post
    I need a bit of advise as to the best hinge to use when I hang my new wooden garage doors . They are 7' wide as a pair . I did buy some steel 4" hinges and was going to put 3 on each door . Now I am thinking I should fit band and hook type . Any help appreciated .
    All depends on the weight of the gates, but if you do fit band and hook either mount one upside down, or weld some material to the top of one of the hinge pieces to prevent the gates being lifted off for easy access to your garage....

Comment

Originally posted by dsapsfo1 View Post
      All depends on the weight of the gates, but if you do fit band and hook either mount one upside down, or weld some material to the top of one of the hinge pieces to prevent the gates being lifted off for easy access to your garage....
      Aye, what he said ^^^^

Use 3 on each door, with the centre one upsidedown. That way you can lift the door off if you have to, but the local yoofs can't.
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

If you use 4" stainless steel- bearing hinges they will take the weight no prob if you have 3 on each door!

Alan
        www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

As tintin said 4" class b butt hinges are more than capable of taking the weight and are self oiling too and will look better. If you are going down the hook & band road you will need the hinges to be 1/3 of the width of the door and no need to fit one upside down if the doors are fitted in a frame as you won't be able to lift them off unless the doors are open 90 degrees to the frame.
          You usually only fit one upside down on gates (no frame)
          Or if you want the doors to open 180 degrees you can use parliament hinges.
          Last edited by Antshiel; 26 May 2009, 21:19.
          http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Antshiel View Post
            Or if you want the doors to open 180 degrees you can use parliament hinges.
            But watch they're not too expensive...
            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Don't worry, the tax payer will foot the bill!
              Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Thanks for your help , I might stay with the hinges I bought and put hinge fronts on to match the front door . Nice bit of bling !
                Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Working...
                X