Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage Freak Out At Spring Change!

Hey guys,
    Just popped into my usual local garage in Plymouth to have a chat with them about the best way for me to change my saggy springs for the 2 inch uprated ones I have from Roughtrax. I was going to just try and do it myself with some borrowed spring compressors and a couple of jacks but these guys started s**tting bricks. They said I would have to remove the shocks and probably the rear cross member thing plus i was unlikely to be able to fit spring compressors in, I would not be able to jack it up enough and that the brake fluid distributor arm would have to be bent to get enough fluid to the brakes for them to work!!! What do you lot think, I have read a few guides to fitting them and it seemed pretty simple with none of the complications they mentioned?? If it is going to be a ball ache can anyone recommend a decent value 4x4 garage around Plymouth for me?

Many thanks.

Sounds a bit odd. I didn't know that brake fluid 'flowed downhill'. It's under pressure when you press the pedal.

What they probably mean is the brake balance will be wrong unless you lift the compensator up by the same amount as your spring lift, but thats not a biggie.

As far as changing the springs goes, just jack it up and get someone to stand on the hub to extend the suspension - disconnecting one end of the shock and ARB will help. That gives enough room to get the old spring out, then compress the new springs a couple of inches and slot them in.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Cool that's what I thought, can I jack anywhere on the chassis (being a 4x4) as people often say to jack the surf under the rear axle but that obviously defeats the object of jacking to remove springs in this case!

Comment

i put a set of these on at week end,jacked chassis up just infront of arch,undid shock at bottom,arb link and compressed old spring,joobs a good un

Comment

Did mine on me own without any complications, (apart from fitting LC springs without the alloy top seats, if your useing +2" replacement springs you'll have no prob, you will have to undo the shock lower connections and the ARB links, possibly the top controll arms if you cant get the axel down enough, but if your useing compressors should be ok, i just fitted some spacers above the break compensator to drop it a bit so as to take any strain out the break flexi hose and avoid buying longer ones a good longish scaffold pole helps with forceing the axel down if you have no mates (like me)
          Last edited by POPEYE; 5 May 2009, 18:09.
          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
            Did mine on me own without any complications, (apart from fitting LC springs without the alloy top seats, if your useing +2" replacement springs you'll have no prob, you will have to undo the shock lower connections and the ARB links, possibly the top controll arms if you cant get the axel down enough, but if your useing compressors should be ok, i just fitted some spacers avove the break compensator to drop it a bit so as to take any strain out the break flexi hose and avoid buying longer ones a good longish scaffold pole helps with forceing the axel down if you have no mates (like me)
            pah i'm yr mate,only takes a call mate

Comment

Sounds fine really then, as long as nothing shears off!! I read somewhere that you can just rotate the bracket the brake bias valve is attached to to put the balance right again.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                Sounds a bit odd.
                Bit of a Fcuking Understatement Andy.....

Hey listen Buddy I used to be Mechanical Engineer, so now I'm disabled n while I can't do everything I still try n managed to Fit 20% Milners on me old Truck about 2 n half years ago, it may have taken me twice the time some of the guys on here would take...(I wouldn't complain if it took 10 x the time)
                I just allowed lots of time, But I got it sorted !!
                (Hint) If ya got the under slung spare ya can use it to your advantage...
                I think there Ball5hi7ing !!!! My personal opinion !!

There's always a Payback....Don't know where n don't know when tho !!!!
                Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by bboy02 View Post
                  If it is going to be a ball ache can anyone recommend a decent value 4x4 garage around Plymouth for me?

Many thanks.
                  Get hold of SUPERSURF (Lee's Autos). He's up on Mutley, good prices and oddly, knows his way round surfs.
                  Last edited by sv1000spilot; 5 May 2009, 20:26.
                  My other cars a QUAD
                  (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
                  http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

undo top shock mounts.jack surf up put axle stands under front of the rear radius arms,undo panhard rod,un bolt the compensator valve bracket,remove rear wheels,put your foot on the hub push down. rear springs will fall out,put foot on hub again press down and slide in new springs,no need to compress them just pull axle down as far as it will go,re fit all the bits in the reverse order and turn compensator valve bracket on its side and bolt back on. job done.
                    www.overfab.uk

Comment

me thinks mr garage is scouting for business - it's a easy job if you can use spanners - even on your own. did mine myself a couple of years ago. took about 4 hours including fitting new shocks, brake bias lift bracket and control arm drop brackets. - I found by jacking under wheel to start compressed that side's spring allowing me to fit compressor by hand, holding spring in compressed state. Then I jacked up the body to take weight off spring and they just fall out. saves a lot of chew trying to compress the spring using spanners. the new springs (if stiffer type) are actually shorter than standard weak springs so pop in quite easy...see pic
                      Attached Files
                      Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Originally posted by Diezel Weazel View Post
                        Bit of a Fcuking Understatement Andy.....

Hey listen Buddy I used to be Mechanical Engineer, so now I'm disabled n while I can't do everything I still try n managed to Fit 20% Milners on me old Truck about 2 n half years ago, it may have taken me twice the time some of the guys on here would take...(I wouldn't complain if it took 10 x the time)
                        I just allowed lots of time, But I got it sorted !!
                        (Hint) If ya got the under slung spare ya can use it to your advantage...
                        I think there Ball5hi7ing !!!! My personal opinion !!

There's always a Payback....Don't know where n don't know when tho !!!!

Just say it like it is jess !!

with regards to the garage not being able to fit these springs...thats because they are what are known as big girls...and to afraid of doing the job as it might chip their nail varnish,
                        Its an easy enough job to do your self.
                        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Get a quote to do the job.
                          Then do it yourself and spend what you saved on some new tools/equipment (or beer...)
                          It's easy.

Hey guys,
                          Just popped into my usual local garage in Plymouth to have a chat with them about the best way for me to change my saggy springs for the 2 inch uprated ones I have from Roughtrax. I was going to just try and do it myself with some borrowed spring compressors and a couple of jacks but these guys started s**tting bricks. They said I would have to remove the shocks and probably the rear cross member thing plus i was unlikely to be able to fit spring compressors in, I would not be able to jack it up enough and that the brake fluid distributor arm would have to be bent to get enough fluid to the brakes for them to work!!! What do you lot think, I have read a few guides to fitting them and it seemed pretty simple with none of the complications they mentioned?? If it is going to be a ball ache can anyone recommend a decent value 4x4 garage around Plymouth for me?

Many thanks.

Comment

Thanks for all the info! I was always intending on doing the job myself, its just these garage idiots got me thinking it was going to be a nightmare but what do they know.... When I told one I had done a lot of research on forums before buying the springs he totally slated the whole concept of motoring fourms, tw*t!

Comment

Thanks for all the info! I was always intending on doing the job myself, its just these garage idiots got me thinking it was going to be a nightmare but what do they know.... When I told one I had done a lot of research on forums before buying the springs he totally slated the whole concept of motoring fourms, tw*t!
                              I totally hate Premadonna's there's a few garages I trust tho Mr Tony's, My own n a few capable friends on the so-called "slated motoring forum"

There's always a Payback .... Don'tknow wheren don't know when tho !!!!
                              Buncefield Burner

Comment

Working...
                              X