Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheel/tyre geometry question

Afternoon all... just a quickie.
    I've searched the threads for a while now and whilst the info is there - albiet fragmented - i'd like a diffinative answer more fitting to my truck setup, if anybody can help.

I'd like to fit 33's (width 12.5??) to my truck to fill the arches more than my BFG AT 31's, and also stick out a bit more for cosmetic purposes.

My truck has had a 2" supension lift (new stiffer springs and spacers at rear and torsion bar wound up 1 1/2" at front.

my question is this - what width/offset alloy/steel will take 33's without upsetting the offset/geometry too much and cause wheel bearing/handleing concerns?? or does the offset not matter that much on a 4X4.

The guy at 4X4 acessoriesandtyres told me a while back, I couldn't fit anything wider than 10.5s to standard rims as they'd pop off when cornering.
    So I guess I need new rims - 8" or 10"
    I've had a quick look at silverline's wheels - their PCD is 140mm - what is surf PCD?
    Budget isn't really a concern but would prefer good second hand wheels. I'd probably buy new tyres as i've been very impressed with the BFG's

I know Stormforce had a nice set of alloys up for sale a wee while ago - would they take 33 x 12.5'S
    any advice greatly appreciated
    cheers
    Ali
    Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Your going to have to do some hammering and some trimming in order to fit 33x12.50 with just a 2" lift on.

I'd suggest if changing wheels.. Look for a 16" wheel and fit 285/75/16's.

Its basically a 33x11.50 but in reality comes to approx 33.2x12.00 which should make things a little easier to fit.

any 8" or 10" rim will take a tyre around the 11.50-12.50 width your looking at. offset... idealy somewhere between -20 and -30 odd with a small lift like that.

The further they stick out the more they will hit.

Personally, i'd suggest putting on even a 1" body lift just to give you some extra space. It should still fit in a multi storey carpark no problem!

Comment

Ideally, you will nedd another 2" inches of lift,most usually a bodylift, to ccomodate 33's without suffering serious rubbing issues.Even with 4" inches of lift, you may find you have to hack the front bumper about/beat the inner wheel arches.As for fitting a 12.5 tyre on a 7" inch rim...the lovely boyo had this set up, but i think its finding a tyre place willing to fit them.I have 33/12.5/15 on 8" inch rims and they are fine..but i am lifted up a lot to accomodate them.
      Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

[QUOTE=RodLeach;550370]Your going to have to do some hammering and some trimming in order to fit 33x12.50 with just a 2" lift on.

QUOTE]

[QUOTE=gwh200;550371]Ideally, you will nedd another 2" inches of lift,most usually a bodylift, to ccomodate 33's without suffering serious rubbing issues.QUOTE]

Never thought about that - hence the post!
        I made some 1 1/2" body lift blocks a while ago and are still sat in my workshop. just waiting to get off my lazy ar$e and fit them!!

Comment

Once you fit them you shouldn't have too much trouble getting them on..

You might still have to do some minor tapping and trimming but nothing that extreme..

Comment

BTW what diameter / length bolts would I need for the blocks. - obviously 1 1/2" longer than the originals!!
            I know they're all different sizes depending on where they are - but was thinking if they're all the same diamter - i could get a box full all at the longest length and cut them down to suit shorter ones - if you catch my drift.

Comment

Just changing the wheel size wont affect the geometry, not will offset affect the wheel bearings that much. However, doing things like winding up the torsion bars / fitting balljoint spacers etc do affect the camber.

Best thing to do is do all your mods, then take it to an alignment place and get it all aligned again.

Bodylift bolts - I dont think there's a huge difference in length between longest and shortest, only an inch or so if I recall. Just take the bolts out of one side, measure, add your 1.5" and go to your local hardware place.

<edit> obviously after putting the bolts back in!
              Last edited by Apache; 3 May 2009, 14:15.
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

<edit> obviously after putting the bolts back in!

I'm glad you mentioned that!!

Comment

To get a bolt out for comparison you'll have to remove the top ball joint, the bolts are "pressed " into it, and it needs to supported across the jaws of a vive and given a good belt to kock one out, i tried it in situ and only f##ked up the top threaded bit,
                  Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                    To get a bolt out for comparison you'll have to remove the top ball joint, the bolts are "pressed " into it, and it needs to supported across the jaws of a vive and given a good belt to kock one out, i tried it in situ and only f##ked up the top threaded bit,
                    Hey Ian, my bodylift doesn't have balljoints. Should I be worried?
                    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                      Hey Ian, my bodylift doesn't have balljoints. Should I be worried?

Hehehe! fingers raceing ahead of brain again, thinking he was on about ball joint spacers, i'll leave now
                      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Working...
                      X