Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Might be a good question...

Hi Guys...

So i've done some looking about and i'm a little confused... i thought the surf had automatic locking hubs?? so why change it to manual locking free wheeling hubs? bit of a noob question i know.... i came from the manual locking era of 4x4's...

Cheers
    Brood
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    All I want for X-mas is a garage stocked with tools and a manual 3.0td Surf

That is without doubt a good question,worthy of a good answer.

well i dont know if i have ever given a good answer so here goes.
    When you lift the front by means of a suspension lift/torsion bar lift, you have the drive shafts operating at a more extreme angle.This can play havoc with your cv boots,so fitting manual hubs, disconnects the drive from the shaft drive plate to the shaft, the shaft no longer turns, and neither do your cv boots therefor they last longer...how did i do ??
    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

for those of us that have the free wheeling hubs fitted or manual locking hubs,we have fitted them mainly because we have lifted the trucks and because of the cv angls it would cause more wear and tear on the cv's by not having them fitted
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Cheers guys... now... what about pneumatic locking hubs? or is that a no no... they used to have them on the pre 98 Mitsubishi l200's ...

Comment

Did you just say..........mitsubishi....... .

not sure, never heard of them
          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

keep it simple,
            www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by 00Brood View Post
              i came from the manual locking era of 4x4's...
              Unless they were the in thing last year or the year before, how old a student are you?

Comment

Automatic locking hubs? If you mean a splined driveshaft into a splined drive plate, then yes, it automatically locks and stays locked until you take the plate off to put manual hubs on...

On a bog standard Surf, the hubs will drive the shafts, even with the drive to the front disconnected. This is why people fit manual hubs.
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                  Unless they were the in thing last year or the year before, how old a student are you?
                  well not that old... my insurance will still put a huge dent in my pocket so theoretically... it will make it more fuel efficient if you have manual locking hubs... cause u dont have to drive the whole front diff then... so less friction... and now for the million dollar question... what does that little switch on the transfer case shifter nob do??? no pun intended... but i see the potential for some crudity

Comment

Autolockers are in the front diff , there fore when the wheel turns the driveshaft turns causing wear on the cv joints /boots , the addition of manual lockers that lok at the wheel stop the driveshaft turning untill 4wd and the hub are engauged , This is not a difflock
                    ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

what does that little switch on the transfer case shifter nob do??? no pun intended... but i see the potential for some crudity
                      Engages 4WD in high ration, NEVER to be used on tarmac or similar surfaces!!!
                      My other cars a QUAD
                      (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
                      http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Originally posted by BioHazard View Post
                        Autolockers are in the front diff , there fore when the wheel turns the driveshaft turns causing wear on the cv joints /boots , the addition of manual lockers that lok at the wheel stop the driveshaft turning untill 4wd and the hub are engauged , This is not a difflock
                        Ahhh now i get it... so if you have manual locks... you still need to push that little button to you want your front diff to engage... and effectively you can have 2 wheel drive low range... by shifting into 4L and not pushing that button...

Comment

Originally posted by sv1000spilot View Post
                          Engages 4WD in high ration, NEVER to be used on tarmac or similar surfaces!!!
                          unless you have a 3rd gen with a center diff that's not locked

Comment

Ahhh now i get it... so if you have manual locks... you still need to push that little button to you want your front diff to engage... and effectively you can have 2 wheel drive low range... by shifting into 4L and not pushing that button...
                            Err not quite. To lock manual lockers you need to get out and do by hand.

When you move into 4L it automatically engages the front ADD. I do however have 2WD in low, but only because one of the connectors on the autobox is unplugged!
                            unless you have a 3rd gen with a center diff that's not locked
                            And HOW would i have known that...eh...
                            My other cars a QUAD
                            (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
                            http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Originally posted by sv1000spilot View Post
                              And HOW would i have known that...eh...
                              i didn't know that bit of info till recent...

and well if you don't lock ur manual hubs u'll have no drive on your front wheels... so 2 wheel drive in low range... and if i understood the other posts right... then well that lil switch locks the automatic locks in the front diff... so kinda the same as not locking the manual hubs...

or am i totally off in the wrong direction here??

Comment

Working...
                              X