No announcement yet.

Springs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got my springs from Roughtrax last year and they are identical to the LA S' ones that Tony had on Shelley's 4runner and I remember someone saying they were from the same manufacturer in Oz.

I can't tell you what they were like from the standard ones as mine was lowered and they were half the size! I can tell you that they were the uprated and were supposed to give a lift of 1.5 to 2 inches.

Rich.

If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
      just ordered some from roughtrax... i'll keep you posted. seemed an alright price till i noticed on the receipt form they added VAT... have to look more closely in future!
      Thanks Matt
      moneys nothing to a bloke of your standing. Keep an eye on the markings for n/s & o/s mine were not marked. There may also be a difference for 2nd & 3rd gen.?

Thanks also Rich.

Geoff.
      Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

Originally posted by rubblebags
        Thanks Matt
        moneys nothing to a bloke of your standing. Keep an eye on the markings for n/s & o/s mine were not marked. There may also be a difference for 2nd & 3rd gen.?

Thanks also Rich.

Geoff.
        but i'm sitting down!?!?
        just done a 15 hr day to pay for them so we're back on track!... got a week holiday now so fingers crossed i won't fart about and get it done quite quick!
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Hi Phil
          glad you could make it. Spose you have just knocked. Please when you get the time in the light of day, could please measure from the top of your wheel rim to the highest part of your wheel arch.
          Will do Geoff when I get a minute. I have been back and forth to Waterloo since Sunday and the back is still higher than the front. I was also thinking of tweaking the torsion bars.
          Also did you notice any difference in the diameter of the spring steel.
          The spring steel was definitely thicker but I'm not sure by how much. I still have the old springs in the scrap box so I'll measure both with the micrometer.
          Cheers
          Geoff.
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

The question I am asking is, are the new +2" springs longer compared to standard new springs.
            Tony,s springs are shown to be longer I cant rearly make out if they are larger diameter steel but there are two more coils.
            I thought in previously mentioned threads that Tony refered to them as +2 HD. To me this says that the springs are Heavy Duty (larger dia steel ) +2". As against Heavy Duty springs that will hold the given weight 2" higher and are also the same length as a standard spring.

Hopefully I have explained it a little better.

If I have Quoted you wrong Tony. Sorry.

Geoff.
            The LA S springs where definatly thicker, and longer than the ones I took out. Without seeing a new set of Toyota springs you'll never know if the lenght is the same. In my opnion, they are longer than stock, cos if you jack the rear of the car up from the chassis, the axle will pull on the brake line as the axle hangs free, never did this before, even with 'relaxed' stock springs.

The coils I got where labled 'Beldon' springs from Ozland.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
              The LA S springs where definatly thicker, and longer than the ones I took out. Without seeing a new set of Toyota springs you'll never know if the lenght is the same. In my opnion, they are longer than stock, cos if you jack the rear of the car up from the chassis, the axle will pull on the brake line as the axle hangs free, never did this before, even with 'relaxed' stock springs.

The coils I got where labled 'Beldon' springs from Ozland.
              wouldn't the travel be limited by the length of the shocks? should be the same travel, but with shorter springs they'll fall out?!
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

wouldn't the travel be limited by the length of the shocks? should be the same travel, but with shorter springs they'll fall out?!
                No Matt when you see the length of the springs free standing first thoughts are
                thier to big. I had to compress both sets of springs to get them out and in.
                So Far: On 15" rim
                Rich OME Longer and larger dia Rim to under arch 15"
                Scubasurf's Make same length larger dia Rim to under arch14"
                Rubbel's Roughtrax Same length Larger dia Rim to under arch 13"
                Phil's Milner Larger dia Rim to under arch ?

Geoff.
                Last edited by rubblebags; 13 May 2004, 00:23.
                Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

No Matt when you see the length of the springs free standing first thoughts are
                  thier to big. I had to compress both sets of springs to get them out and in.
                  Rich OME Longer and larger dia Rim to under arch 15"
                  Scubasurf's Make same length larger dia Rim to under arch14"
                  Phil's Milner Larger dia Rim to under arch ?
                  Geoff.
                  Right, I am going to confuse things. Centre of the wheel hub to highest bottom edge of the wheel arch (bearing in mind wide body) 22 1/4" with the Milner springs. So that would be 14 3/4" to the under edge of the lowest bit of the wheel arch..............all clear.........Iv'e confused myself!!
                  It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                    Right, I am going to confuse things. Centre of the wheel hub to highest bottom edge of the wheel arch (bearing in mind wide body) 22 1/4" with the Milner springs. So that would be 14 3/4" to the under edge of the lowest bit of the wheel arch..............all clear.........Iv'e confused myself!!
                    Finally took all of the crap out - Roughtrax larger diameter and 13 inches to inside of wheel arch.
                    If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Yeah, stock shocks stop the longer springs giving you extra axle droop, but you have a couple of inches of travel to spare on the stock shocks, so you still see a increase in ride height.

With longer shocks, you'll mange to keep the wheels on the deck in slightly bigger holes.
                      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I got the micrometer out and measured the springs:

Old 14.2mm Dia

New 15.5mm Dia

So they are not 20% longer or thicker. Just 20% stronger. I'm assuming that they are using a steel of a different tensile strength.
                        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Rich OME Longer and larger dia Rim to under arch 13"
                          Scubasurf's Make same length larger dia Rim to under arch 14"
                          Phil's Milner Larger dia 15.5mm Rim to under arch 14 3/4"
                          Tony's Beldon LA/S larger dia & longer " " ?

Rich are you saying your new springs were Roughtrax not Toyota

Geoff.
                          Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

Rich OME Longer and larger dia Rim to under arch 13"
                            Scubasurf's Make same length larger dia Rim to under arch 14"
                            Phil's Milner Larger dia 15.5mm Rim to under arch 14 3/4"
                            Tony's Beldon LA/S larger dia & longer " " ?

Rich are you saying your new springs were Roughtrax not Toyota

Geoff.
                            Geoff

I fitted OME (OLD MAN EMU from oz) springs with 15" to wheelarch from rim!

Perhaps you are thinking of OEM springs!

If not, forgive my ramblings!
                            www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

Originally posted by europa88
                              Geoff

I fitted OME (OLD MAN EMU from oz) springs with 15" to wheelarch from rim!

Perhaps you are thinking of OEM springs!

If not, forgive my ramblings!
                              Your right. I'm WRONG Not Reading things properly

Geoff.
                              Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

Working...
                              X