Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Springs.

Hi All

Before xmas I fitted uprated higher springs on the rear es9000,s all round and tweeked the front bars. Having read a lot of threads on springs latley has raised a question in my mind.
    I bought my gear from Roughtrax. No problem there, good service. When I offered my new springs up to the old springs the difference was, only in the diameter of the steel. Not the length of spring. As far as I am aware that is where the extra ride height comes from, the fact that the springs do not compress as much for the given load.
    Recently myself and Scubasurf fitted rear springs and es9000,s to his truck. His were marked o/s and n/s.
    It could have been that my springs were not as nackered as I thought. ?

Comments on this please especially if you have done your own springs.

Geoff.
    Rubblebags (Geoff).

Sorry, whats the question?
    Derek :
    1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
    [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Originally posted by rubblebags
      Hi All

Before xmas I fitted uprated higher springs on the rear es9000,s all round and tweeked the front bars. Having read a lot of threads on springs latley has raised a question in my mind.
      I bought my gear from Roughtrax. No problem there, good service. When I offered my new springs up to the old springs the difference was, only in the diameter of the steel. Not the length of spring. As far as I am aware that is where the extra ride height comes from, the fact that the springs do not compress as much for the given load.
      Recently myself and Scubasurf fitted rear springs and es9000,s to his truck. His were marked o/s and n/s.
      It could have been that my springs were not as nackered as I thought. ?

Comments on this please especially if you have done your own springs.

Geoff.
      Geoff.

I guess ther answer is that if your Surf had a saggy rear end before then they were knackered, if not then they weren't. If the back end sits in the right place now then the new ones are OK. Personally I've never known coil springs that were sided before however I live and learn.

Cheers

Comment

Hmm I replaced the spring in my pen, it works every time now
        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
          Geoff.

I guess ther answer is that if your Surf had a saggy rear end before then they were knackered, if not then they weren't. If the back end sits in the right place now then the new ones are OK. Personally I've never known coil springs that were sided before however I live and learn.

Cheers
          I have read somewhere that the 3rd gen springs are marked to compensate for the weight of the fuel tank and other bits.

Comment

LA Supertrux +2" coils Vs old Toy ones.....

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by andy
              I have read somewhere that the 3rd gen springs are marked to compensate for the weight of the fuel tank and other bits.
              cement mixer lorries also have stronger suspension on one side as the load is all pushed that way in the mixer.... learn something new every day huh!
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                Geoff.

Cheers
                Don't think it's uncommon for springs to be 'sided'. The ones for the 3rd gen 4runner are definitely sided.

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy
                  Sorry, whats the question?
                  The question I am asking is, are the new +2" springs longer compared to standard new springs.
                  Tony,s springs are shown to be longer I cant rearly make out if they are larger diameter steel but there are two more coils.
                  I thought in previously mentioned threads that Tony refered to them as +2 HD. To me this says that the springs are Heavy Duty (larger dia steel ) +2". As against Heavy Duty springs that will hold the given weight 2" higher and are also the same length as a standard spring.

Hopefully I have explained it a little better.

If I have Quoted you wrong Tony. Sorry.

Geoff.
                  Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

I replaced my springs last weekend with the Milners, "20% stronger," jobs. I noticed that when I put the new springs and the old ones side by side, the new ones were approximately 1" shorter. Not being a mechanic or an expert on stress of the metallic kind I put it down to the old springs having "relaxed". If they have lost their ability to recover under load and the metal has become softer then maybe they will be longer. But then again I could be talking complete cobblers
                    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                      I replaced my springs last weekend with the Milners, "20% stronger," jobs. I noticed that when I put the new springs and the old ones side by side, the new ones were approximately 1" shorter. Not being a mechanic or an expert on stress of the metallic kind I put it down to the old springs having "relaxed". If they have lost their ability to recover under load and the metal has become softer then maybe they will be longer. But then again I could be talking complete cobblers
                      Hi Phil
                      glad you could make it. Spose you have just knocked. Please when you get the time in the light of day, could please measure from the top of your wheel rim to the highest part of your wheel arch. Also did you notice any difference in the diameter of the spring steel.
                      Cheers
                      Geoff.
                      Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

I just picked up a set of rears and they have L and R on each one respectivly.
                        From what I beleive they are LA supertrux ones but I may be mistaken.

2nd Gen SSRX kzn 130.
                        Nili secundum desperandum

Comment

Just to add my spring story to the collection!

Just fitted OME901 springs to mine, they were longer than stock by about an inch but more importantly the spring diameter was 3mm heavier! They too were handed left and right. Previous to fitting these I was going to fit Milners 20% uprated standard length, they were as previously mentioned shorter than
                          the stock spring but 1mm heavier diameter than the stock springs!

My guess is the lower weight of the springs also allows the spring to compress more for the same given weight of the vehicle!

Incidently the OME springs give excellent lift, I now have 15" from rear wheel rim to arch(on one side before I only got 12") I guesss they will settle a bit the general opinion is half an inch, so at the moment I have adjusted torsion bars to 14 1/2" from rim to wheelarch at the front and Its still higher at the back!!!
                          When It all settled I will redo them to try to level It abit more!
                          www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

Originally posted by europa88
                            Just to add my spring story to the collection!

Just fitted OME901 springs to mine, they were longer than stock by about an inch but more importantly the spring diameter was 3mm heavier! They too were handed left and right. Previous to fitting these I was going to fit Milners 20% uprated standard length, they were as previously mentioned shorter than
                            the stock spring but 1mm heavier diameter than the stock springs!

My guess is the lower weight of the springs also allows the spring to compress more for the same given weight of the vehicle!

Incidently the OME springs give excellent lift, I now have 15" from rear wheel rim to arch(on one side before I only got 12") I guesss they will settle a bit the general opinion is half an inch, so at the moment I have adjusted torsion bars to 14 1/2" from rim to wheelarch at the front and Its still higher at the back!!!
                            When It all settled I will redo them to try to level It abit more!
                            Thanks Neil & Ron
                            thats the sort of info I'm after.It will be interesting to see what heights we get from different spring suppliers.

Cheers
                            Geoff.
                            Last edited by rubblebags; 11 May 2004, 21:33.
                            Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

just ordered some from roughtrax... i'll keep you posted. seemed an alright price till i noticed on the receipt form they added VAT... have to look more closely in future!
                              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
                              X