Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saying Hi and what to buy.

Hi All.
    First post on here. I am thinking of buying a hilux, I would like your suggestions on what to look out for i.e. type style engine size etc.

I have a small boat which I will be upgrading in the future to a larger one so I will need a bit of grunt for the slip ways. I am currently selling my Berlingo van for around £3000 so would only want to spend that on a 4x4 really, I am also leaning towards a surf or similar instead of a pick up type as I guess it will be safer/more secure to carry the outboard in.

Also, once I have bought a truck, I would like to be able to work on it myself, are they reasonably easy to work on? Can I buy a haynes book or similar.

Anyhow, I am sure to be posting on here regularly once I buy, so hello to all.

Thank you.
    Ady

Sorry, just a bump to re post my questions really.

I will have around £3000 once I have sold my Berlingo van, so would you think it possible I could buy a 3rd gen surf for that sort of money?

I seem to get conflicting info on what years the second and third gens were made in, can anyone tell me?

Also, is there anywhere else I should look to buy, other than here, Auto trader and flee bay?

Thanks in advance for any replys.

Ady.

Comment

Trinity's truck would be ideal for you !

I almost forgot ! Welcome to the best Surf site in the UK !
      Last edited by John h; 29 April 2009, 13:45.
      Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

Basically you want a 3.0L diesel (avoid the Petrol V6) for the low down grunt to pull the boat. With £3K to play with you should be able to pick up a reasonable 95-96, either a late 2nd Gen or early 3rd Gen (2nd Gen drop down rear door, 3rd Gen lift up). Don't pay the extortionate prices that some garages are still asking for them. Oh, and avoid the earlier 2.4L as the extra grunt of the 3.0L is much handier.

As mentioned, look on here at the Surfs for sale pages.

Edit: Oh, yeah, and welcome to the Forum.
        Mike G

Comment

And to answer your other question, yes, they're dead easy to work on and theres lots of cheap spares around.
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Thanks for the replys guys.
            John: still getting used to the site so how do I find trinity and photos of his truck please mate?

Im off on holiday in 30 mins (so the wife keeps reminding me LOL) so will chase this up when I get back.

Thanks again.
            Ady

Comment

welcome...have a lovely time...buy a landrover, they are ultra reliable/comfortable/......they suffer no known issues with engine drivetrain or ancilliary equipment....................w hat have i done with me pills........................
              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by adyhbris View Post
                Thanks for the replys guys.
                John: still getting used to the site so how do I find trinity and photos of his truck please mate?

Im off on holiday in 30 mins (so the wife keeps reminding me LOL) so will chase this up when I get back.

Thanks again.
                Ady
                You have replied on trintys add in the Surfs for sale section
                Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                My choice
                Back off

Comment

Back from my holidays now.
                  I have now advertised my Berlingo so all being well will be able to buy my surf soon.
                  Sorry I missed out on yours trinity and I hope it went to a good home. Do you mind me asking what it went for in the end?

I will post this bit into the correct section now, but, is it possible to open the tail gate flat vertically? I have seen some pictures of it laying open in the horizontal position but not vertically.

Thanks again all.
                  Ady

Comment

Working...
                  X