Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Help

Hi All

I need a guide to changing my clutch plates can anyone point me in the right direction to a picture guide or write up.

I am going to take one of my scrapper and put it on my current truck so any help appriciated!!

Cheers
    Mark

kinda long job, but very loosely this is how I do it solo, its very heavy so you may need help. My way works for me, but i have done lots, and also you need to be strong enough to lift the 'box over your head when laying on the floor, i don't know how 'macho' you are...

Get all four wheel up on ramps, or front and jack the back up, this gets it at the right height to be able to lift it comfortably and have arms straight when doing the heavy bits
    Remove Prop shafts, Exhaust, front ARB, slave cylinder, and stuff...
    Jack under gearbox, remove gearbox crossmember
    Lower gearbox a little to make next bit easier
    Remove center consol, unbolt shifters
    Drain oil from t/case and gearbox, makes it less messy when heaving the things around
    Unbolt transfer case, and remove
    Unbolt starter motor and gearbox-sump supports
    I normally lower the jack now and have a piece of wood then goes between the sump and front diff crossmember that supports the engine.
    Carefull as you lower the jack, watch the back of the engine on the bulkhead, and the fan against the rad, rad hoses, etc... you need to be able to get all the bolts, the ones round the top of the bell housing are especially hard to reach, and one each side that you need get to from the front. But not to low that the bottom of the bellhousing will catch on front diff flange (take it off if you want).
    You should now have the 'box hanging, and can loosen all the bellhousing bolts
    Leave one each side to stop it falling out, but will be easy for you to get to later
    Now this is where it gets exciting.....
    I lay under the box on back, lift knees up to support 'box
    Remove last bolts, get a good grip of 'box and wriggle it backwards off the flywheel, (its a fecker to get out between the diff flange and the bottom of the body, a body lift is soooooo helpful here, expect to twist and turn it a bit.)
    Once you know its completely free, hold it up, remove knees and lower box on to chest, swear at it a bit, then roll it off you and go and celebrate.

Putting it back is the same, you need to be strong enough to get the box' back on your chest, then 'bench press' the box back up, and on the motor, then get you knees under it while you put a couple of bolts in and the rest is easy.

Otherwise get help. 2 people and a pit is probably ideal. I have got a gearbox cradle for the trolley jack, and a pit, but you need to do so much wriggling with the box to get it on and off it was more hassle than it was worth, i'd rather do it my way.

Ratchet straps round the torsion bars can help hold it up to.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Good Luck Mark

ps.
      Superbly explained the Main Man (Tony) I know ya fitness regime now !!!!

There's always a Payback .... Don't know where, don't know when tho !!!!
      Last edited by Diezel Weazel; 23 April 2009, 09:21.
      Buncefield Burner

Comment

Thanks Tony

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
        kinda long job, but very loosely this is how I do it solo, its very heavy so you may need help. My way works for me, but i have done lots, and also you need to be strong enough to lift the 'box over your head when laying on the floor, i don't know how 'macho' you are...

Get all four wheel up on ramps, or front and jack the back up, this gets it at the right height to be able to lift it comfortably and have arms straight when doing the heavy bits
        Remove Prop shafts, Exhaust, front ARB, slave cylinder, and stuff...
        Jack under gearbox, remove gearbox crossmember
        Lower gearbox a little to make next bit easier
        Remove center consol, unbolt shifters
        Drain oil from t/case and gearbox, makes it less messy when heaving the things around
        Unbolt transfer case, and remove
        Unbolt starter motor and gearbox-sump supports
        I normally lower the jack now and have a piece of wood then goes between the sump and front diff crossmember that supports the engine.
        Carefull as you lower the jack, watch the back of the engine on the bulkhead, and the fan against the rad, rad hoses, etc... you need to be able to get all the bolts, the ones round the top of the bell housing are especially hard to reach, and one each side that you need get to from the front. But not to low that the bottom of the bellhousing will catch on front diff flange (take it off if you want).
        You should now have the 'box hanging, and can loosen all the bellhousing bolts
        Leave one each side to stop it falling out, but will be easy for you to get to later
        Now this is where it gets exciting.....
        I lay under the box on back, lift knees up to support 'box
        Remove last bolts, get a good grip of 'box and wriggle it backwards off the flywheel, (its a fecker to get out between the diff flange and the bottom of the body, a body lift is soooooo helpful here, expect to twist and turn it a bit.)
        Once you know its completely free, hold it up, remove knees and lower box on to chest, swear at it a bit, then roll it off you and go and celebrate.

Putting it back is the same, you need to be strong enough to get the box' back on your chest, then 'bench press' the box back up, and on the motor, then get you knees under it while you put a couple of bolts in and the rest is easy.

Otherwise get help. 2 people and a pit is probably ideal. I have got a gearbox cradle for the trolley jack, and a pit, but you need to do so much wriggling with the box to get it on and off it was more hassle than it was worth, i'd rather do it my way.

Ratchet straps round the torsion bars can help hold it up to.
        Thanks Tony for taking the time to write this, would have replied earlier but these thing come in threes !!! Trucks Died .....Broadband Died.... Computer Died ....

Can anyone point me in the right direction of ? manual / pictures to allow me to Join up Tony's write up with pictures or diagrams!!

Thanks

Mark

Comment

Working...
        X