My New?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New?

LAND ROVER!!! Not a popular transport choice here I know but a good buy for £300 I reckon. The surf is great but I still think an old series LR looks better
    Attached Files

you do??? wow...

Series landys have something, but looks over a Hilux aint one!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

niiiice!

I've been looking at 110s an 90s recently! With intention of getting one..

Going for a 90 now! After seeing the SVX in a local 4x4 dealership! It HAS to be rag top!!

Comment

There is mud in your eyes

(I'm being polite)

Name that tune =$$$ - yup - money money money
        Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

u keeping the surf next to it?
          for £300 that does look a good buy mate the truck seems in really good nick...
          One day at the time I guess..

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
            you do??? wow...

Series landys have something, but looks over a Hilux aint one!

It’s a childhood thing I guess, I always wanted one. I guess it takes me back to the 70’s and happier times (for me anyway) I’ve had a few old LR’s and miss tinkering with them after I sell them. I’m going to keep this one I think. I won’t be using it that much but it is great for getting all the children and dogs in the back and going for a slow drive about the forestry tracks with the safari roof off

Comment

Originally posted by TobyJug View Post
              u keeping the surf next to it?
              for £300 that does look a good buy mate the truck seems in really good nick...
              Sure am! I'll be keeping the Surf next to it. The LR is in really good nick for the money. The chassis is very good! A wee plate on the rear cross member and a general clean up should see it well. I have a Rover V8 sitting waiting for a transplant but I don't know if I can be bothered fitting it to be honest. It's an easy conversion but finding the time. I'll only be using it every now and again for a trip down memory lane type of thing and a trip this summer with the family camping around the western isles. No lifts and the like like i've done on the surf.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo View Post
                There is mud in your eyes

(I'm being polite)

Name that tune =$$$ - yup - money money money
                The older 70' early 80's Toyota's look nearly as good as a series but like most cars now including LR's I think they are a wee bitty dull

I might well have shi# in my eyes right enough! I saw a mustard Austin Allegro the other day and thought, that's a car

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
                  niiiice!

I've been looking at 110s an 90s recently! With intention of getting one..

Going for a 90 now! After seeing the SVX in a local 4x4 dealership! It HAS to be rag top!!

Thanks!!! Are you not getting another Surf???

Comment

I took my socket set out yesterday (to remove a couple of strange brackets fitted to the rear wheel arches), prior to that the last time I used them was last summer when I fitted a tow-bar (thanks Toby). Before that it was to remove the starter motor for refurb. Plus a few oil changes and those where the only times I’ve been near the Surf with tools in over 2 ½ years of ownership.

I owned Series Land Rovers for five years (2000 – 2005) and was an active club member. I totally rebuilt an IIA (new or recon parts & fitted LPG) which took me a year to do (evenings & weekends)....... even after the build and a new MOT there was always something to do. I got fed up of it all in the end and bought a Toyota.

As a LR club member I got to work on a wide range of LR’s and even the newer models were constantly in need of TLC.

Land Rovers (old ones) certainly have their charm but if you want or need reliability you should buy Japanese.

I’d never buy a LR again.
                    Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

What's going on here then ?

Have we gone all agricultural ? Have I logged on to LRO or farmers weekly circa 1977 ???

used to go to school in a 2a 8 miles of freezing hell !

Rod get a Surf ! mod it then sell it to me !!!
                      Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

Have to confess I do love the look of a tricked up newish Defender and think the series ones are certainly endearing if nothing else (though would rather have my lower intestine extracted via a snatch strap than go anywhere near a Disco)

However, when I have been to a local LR garage and even the mechanic there says that they are so flawed from the factory it would completely put me off
                        to quote him virtually verbatim 'Toyota find a design flaw and recall every vehicle that has that fault and sorts it (i.e. Surf steering recall being carried out on 15 year old vehicles etc.) whereas LR have design flaws which are well known, yet they still carry on making them that way regardless. I am constantly fixing the same parts and can't believe how bad the quality is. They are built to survive until the warranty runs out and thats it'

The owner of this particular LR garage drives.... a Toyota

Am very jealous of the selection of parts/mods and general tomfoolery you can get off the shelf for LR's though

Comment

looks like a money pit to me..

im with you on the landy thing tho..been liking the look of the lightweights at the mo'..

Comment

Have to agree with everyone on everything Reliability was always an issue with my old LR's. This one is just a toy for the odd weekend use and this is going to sound mad. I like working on them, only if I don't need it the next day. A sick hobby I know!

Money pit! My Toyota is the money pit I have spent much more on it already than what it's worth! Nearly there though. I have the intercooler and silcon pipes etc all waiting to go on. Just looking for the right scoop.Money spent in mods rather than repairs though Means I can't sell it now without a huge loss!!!

I should say that my Toyota has been so far the most reliable truck/car I have ever owned. Mot - straight through etc. Never let me down and I have covered many a mile. It may be a 2.4 but I do not appear to have any problems as far as performance, noisy engine or cooling issues. My 2.4 can out perform a LR 2.5TdI -really!!! Of course I would rather have the 3.0 but hey I have what i have and loving it
                            Last edited by Mrbill; 20 April 2009, 12:16.

Comment

the ones in liverpool dont act well to sunbeds

the burgandy toyotas well enough said!
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by dannyboy77; 20 April 2009, 12:59.
                              http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55797

Comment

Working...
                              X