Dog Cages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog Cages

I'd love to be able to take my Jack Russell terrier out with me in the Surf but he just won't settle. I don't know if he doesn't like being in a vehicle or if he just gets excited at the prospect of going somewhere!

I'm considering buying a dog cage for the back of the truck and putting his blanket in there to see if he will settle that way. It seems such a shame to lock him up at home when I go out, but he's a distraction when I'm driving.

Does anyone else have a dog that doesn't like being in the truck?
    'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

my dog takes the front seat lets no one else near it
    cracks me up
    but i guy i know had this problem
    he got a harness with a seat belt loop in it
    dogs ok now after it got used to it
    am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Yep, got a dopey lab, he loves being crated..silly really but from a pup he loved the crate (only got it after he chewed the kitchen carpet!)now it's his "safe space" he is a big softy out of the crate, but in his environment he will even growl at you if you encroach in his space!..recommended!" Plus it saves the embarrasment of dog drool on the windows! "a bugger to get off when it's dry!"

Comment

our jack Russel is a pain when we go out in the car we tried a cage it helped but we have gone back to her sitting on trina's lap. watching the dog whisperer on tv it would appear that its my fault i should walk her before we go out and only put her in the car when shes calm the norm is i carry this mad out of control time bomb to the car and throe her in the open door (well she jumps from me to the car)i think i need to put a little more time in training her .good luck . steve

Comment

My rotti is exactly the same mate.
          He loves going out but as soon as he gets in the truck he's all over the place & tries to sit on my lap "not good", he's only 4 months but a handful already so im concidering one of these.
          They do a variety of sizes.
          http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Websta...__W0QQ_armrsZ1
          Last edited by si tate; 12 April 2009, 22:22.
          If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

one other thing when we used a cage we coverd it with an old sheet so she could only see us and couldn't see out of the side windows that seemed to help alot

Comment

oh i still have the carlming problem
              i use a local grass land i have to take him there before i go anywere
              or he will not give over barking and the odd nibble at me
              cant drive past that peace of grass its his stop off piont once he has been there
              i can drive for hours after with out a peep
              but he dont like the heaters tho
              am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Crateing is probably the best way to go, as it's safer for both yourself and the dog. The ones on ebay look quite good.

One of our dogs sleeps every night in a crate because it was the only way to get her to calm down. You need to make the crate a safe haven that they enjoy being in. A favourite piece of bedding, or maybe try feeding the dog there, that way they assosiate the crate with good things and not a prison.
                Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
                  Crateing is probably the best way to go, as it's safer for both yourself and the dog. The ones on ebay look quite good.

One of our dogs sleeps every night in a crate because it was the only way to get her to calm down. You need to make the crate a safe haven that they enjoy being in. A favourite piece of bedding, or maybe try feeding the dog there, that way they assosiate the crate with good things and not a prison.
                  I shall bare that in mind mate when i get mine, instead of trying to just shove him in it. Saw the dog whisperer guy doing it & he made it look easy, like he always does.
                  If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Maverick, as Si says, great advice mate. I'll put his blanket in there and when he's in slip him a couple of treats so he associates good things with the cage.

He's about 4 years old now but I don't believe in the 'you can't teach an old dog new tricks' saying!

Comment

I had a cage for my Springer from being a pup and when he was older he seemed to use it a place of refuge when the house was busy. It was under the breakfast bar so out the way. We never shut the door on it. As long as they are not associated as being a punishment a dog should go in to them with no problem.
                      He was great in the Surf. I used to leave the back window a bit down so he could see out and never had to set the alarm when I left him in because he would bark and growl if anyone came near. Sadly he died in December, kidney failure.

Comment

Dog cage

Hi mate,ive got a cage for sale if your interested £25.ono.
                        My two border collies will not fit inside anymore,hence the new rear seatbelts from roughtrax to get the truck through its mot..
                        Last edited by zon; 13 April 2009, 19:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion View Post
                          I'd love to be able to take my Jack Russell terrier out with me in the Surf but he just won't settle. I don't know if he doesn't like being in a vehicle or if he just gets excited at the prospect of going somewhere!

I'm considering buying a dog cage for the back of the truck and putting his blanket in there to see if he will settle that way. It seems such a shame to lock him up at home when I go out, but he's a distraction when I'm driving.

Does anyone else have a dog that doesn't like being in the truck?
                          My dogs dont mind it but they never keep still so they go in a cage as well.

Comment

Hi Zon, I may take you up on that mate. I've got a few bids on Ebay at the minute, if they fall through I'll be in touch.

Comment

Shame your not closer, we tend to always have spares.
                              Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Working...
                              X