poorly shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• poorly shaft

My bike mechanic skills are sadly letting me down when it comes to drive shafts etc. I'm getting a nasty knock on me shaft/diff area. Aint got the time and money to sort it at the mo, and ive got a few runs ive got to do over the next few weeks, so... can i either a) take some part out of hub for time being, so it free wheels (trips are all road, so dont need 4wd) or b) take out drive shafts. (and would whatever part it is that comes out of diff and bolts to shaft not fall out if shaft is awol? silly question, but needs to be asked!)
    cheers.

65 quid reconed
    and mine was shafted
    has for the rest no idea
    am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

What is making the noise?
      Is it front or rear?
      Is it more from the diff or the shaft?

If it is from the rear drive shaft, you can temporarily remove it and with the 4wd enguaged run front wheel drive. I've done this in the past when my ujs needed changing.
      Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Thats about £65 a week more than i'm on at the mo.

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
          What is making the noise?
          Is it front or rear?
          Is it more from the diff or the shaft?

If it is from the rear drive shaft, you can temporarily remove it and with the 4wd enguaged run front wheel drive. I've done this in the past when my ujs needed changing.
          Tis the front. so's you can lose the rear shafts. can same be said for fronts?

Comment

Removing the half shalfs from the diff wouldn't be a problem because they simply bolt onto a plate, so you wouldn't expose any diff internals.
            The problem is at the wheel end.
            Now if I remember correct (and it has been a very long time since I last worked on the axle so I could be terribly wrong) there is a washer with teeth that connects the axle to the hub, and it may be possible to remove this and effectively disconnect the axle, same as manual hubs do. I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS WOULD BE SAFE.

The first thing I would try to do is work out exactly what is causeing the knocking, could be something as simple as a loose nut, or no diff oil.
            Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Checked everything over, and visually all is ok. All bolts tight as tight things. Diff oil changed short while ago. Level still spot on. If i knew for certain i could run it without shafts, id just whip em out and run it, then i could check/replace at leisure.

Comment

Poorly shaft. Stop it.

You can run without any front shafts, no problem. Look at 'Stein as an example.

Comment

Ta for help. Im off to pull me shafts oot.

Comment

Working...
                  X