Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension Lifts - on the cheap!

Hi all

I've been searching through the archives on here for the past few nights, and had a read of various methods of lifting the suspension on my truck (2nd Gen 3 door)

I want to do it as cheap as i can, as i've set myself a bit of a budget!

So far, the options i've seen are..

Front:

- Wind the torsion bars up. Are there any issues in doing this? How high can i go before i reach the upper shock limits?

- Ball joint spacers. - Do i have to fit these to all the ball joints? Any issues with this?

Rear:

- Landcruiser rear springs, will i need longer shocks with there? or get away with it if i'm not going super harsh off road?

- Discovery front springs in the rear - these are an appealing option as they are mega cheap!

- Spring spacers / plates - I assume these are just a spacer that sits above / below the spring? Are they anything special? I can knock some bits of plate up no worries, how does the spring stay retained with them fitted?

Has anyone got any pics of the above fitted to surfs? I'm on nights at work at the mo so i'd like to get some info before getting stuck in on my day off

Oh, and i've already got a 2" body lift kit on the way, so that rules it out as an instead!

Thanks,
    Mike

*edit*
    This is the truck..

And these are the wheels and tyres:

They are 285 75 16's
    Last edited by Mike D; 10 April 2009, 21:08.

so u want to put front disco springs on the back and "knock some spacers up",remind me never to follow u

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
      so u want to put front disco springs on the back and "knock some spacers up",remind me never to follow u
      No, i wan't to know what my options are, and if any of them are viable or not. All the stuff i've listed is what i've read on various places on the net, so i'd like some advice on what to do / what not to do. I'm new to this suspension lifting game, i've always lowered stuff before.

I'm more than confident in my ability to 'knock some spacers up' too, i'm more than capable and have access to the correct equipment to do so

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
        Hi all

I've been searching through the archives on here for the past few nights, and had a read of various methods of lifting the suspension on my truck (2nd Gen 3 door)

I want to do it as cheap as i can, as i've set myself a bit of a budget!

So far, the options i've seen are..

Front:

- Wind the torsion bars up. Are there any issues in doing this? How high can i go before i reach the upper shock limits?

- Ball joint spacers. - Do i have to fit these to all the ball joints? Any issues with this?

Rear:

- Landcruiser rear springs, will i need longer shocks with there? or get away with it if i'm not going super harsh off road?

- Discovery front springs in the rear - these are an appealing option as they are mega cheap!

- Spring spacers / plates - I assume these are just a spacer that sits above / below the spring? Are they anything special? I can knock some bits of plate up no worries, how does the spring stay retained with them fitted?

Has anyone got any pics of the above fitted to surfs? I'm on nights at work at the mo so i'd like to get some info before getting stuck in on my day off

Oh, and i've already got a 2" body lift kit on the way, so that rules it out as an instead!

Thanks,
        Mike

*edit*
        This is the truck..

And these are the wheels and tyres:

They are 285 75 16's
        1) Torsion bars about 2" max before you top your OEM shocks out and bugger the handling completely.

2) Ball joint spacers to top wishbone only. They'll bring back reasonable handling as you dont have to wind up the front bars as much.

3) Never heard of Disco springs in the rear. Would be interested in how that goes. If they fit and are right length / rating, shouldn't be any different to LC springs - they dont fit properly either.

4) Spacers aren't just plates. They are machined to locate the spring properly, and themselves locate properly on the chassis rail. If you have a decent capacity lathe and decent quality ally to make them out of, there are dimensions on the site somewhere.

Nice tyres by the way
        Last edited by Apache; 10 April 2009, 21:18.
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Thanks Apache

I've read that the Surf springs are handed, 1 being longer than the other? I see roughtrax do a 2" taller pair like this, so that's another option.

Re the disco v landcruiser springs, that's what i thought, so long as they locate and are the correct diameter i can always chop a coil or two to make them suit.

Thanks for the spring plate info too, a lathe and block of ally are no problem, i'll have a search for the dimensions

Comment

Having read a bit more, it seems that the roughtrax 2" lift springs are destined to sag.. Has anyone fitted them and experienced this? Having looked at Landrover springs them seem to be parrellel and not pig tailed like the surf ones..

Roughtrax springs are here:

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=150&vid=376

Thanks

Comment

Hi Mike D,

I fitted the R/T +20% +2" springs on my 2nd gen 2.4, and
              lifted the front by 1+1/2" on the bolts, with no probs,
              and, I do a lot of towing, still on std shocks. No change
              to the handling. Keep the handing or loose out. Springs
              are handed.

Hope this helps.

Gman.
              If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

Originally posted by GRASSMAN View Post
                Hi Mike D,

I fitted the R/T +20% +2" springs on my 2nd gen 2.4, and
                lifted the front by 1+1/2" on the bolts, with no probs,
                and, I do a lot of towing, still on std shocks. No change
                to the handling. Keep the handing or loose out. Springs
                are handed.

Hope this helps.

Gman.
                That's what i want to hear

Thanks Grassman, I reckon the Roughtrax springs are looking like the way forward.

Comment

The Roughtrax springs are handed, to be precise. The Milner's ones are not.

Comment

my 2nd gen had the roughtrax +2 with a set of coil spacers and slightly wound torsion bars and a 2"bodylift ..........it ran 31x10.5 15 baja claws and conquered the plain and most off road events i took it to

standard

lifted

' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Thanks Biohazard,
                      I've got to nip to the Post Office to pick the body lift from you up in the morning, so i'll get that fitted and a set of roughtrax rears and wind the torsion bars up and see where I am then. Don't suppose you've still got the coil spacers have you?

Has anyone had any issues with bad tyre wear after lifting their trucks? or is it all re-trackable?

Thanks

Comment

In all honesty, Theres no point trying to do it 'cheap' mate.. Its going to save a few quid.. hardly worth wasting time. The monster dent in mpg will make it pointless trying to save £20 now..

Forget discovery rear springs, They aint set up for a surf.. end of an cutting the coil is a bit of a bodge, Im not saying you didn't know that but honestly, i wouldn't bother wasting time doing it.

The older roughtrax springs sag.. I had the new ones they offer on the truck for just over a year i think an they never sagged. The lost about 0.5" just settling in but never sagged an that was with the occasional heavy load.

a set of Roughtrax springs will set you back around £80 i think. Just do it!! If the LC spring is mounted wrong it rubs on the shock. They never sit level... Just get the surf springs!

Either way... lifting makes a hell of a difference!

Stock(ish)

Finished!

Comment

Cheers Rod,
                          I've ordered a set of the roughtrax springs, as you say, may as well do it right!

How much is your truck lifted? is that just a 2" suspension and 2" body? It looks cock on

*edit*

That pic has just confirmed my hunch that the side steps need to go
                          Last edited by Mike D; 11 April 2009, 01:05.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                            Cheers Rod,
                            I've ordered a set of the roughtrax springs, as you say, may as well do it right!

How much is your truck lifte? is that just a 2" suspension and 2" body? It looks cock on

Honestly, You wont regret it mate!

It has a set of +2" springs with 2" coil spacers on the rear, 1.5" ball joint spacers and tweaked torsion bars up front with a 1.5" body lift on top.. 35x12.50 tyres... I love(d) it to bits!! Sold it recently...

Comment

I'd have to agree.

If I was doing it again, I'd get the RT springs and a pair of spacers from 'stein. A lot of people disagree but I think the LC coils are just too firm for a Surf, and to make them fit properly, you really need locators (like a spacer with minimal lift) to stop them shifting about at the chassis end.
                              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                              X