Help-New Rear Springs Fitted But I Have A Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help-New Rear Springs Fitted But I Have A Problem

I have spent this afternoon/evening fitting new springs to my truck. The nearside spring was no problem but I have a problem with the offside. It's all back together apart from the bolt that goes holds the axle end of the trailing arm. I just cant get it to line up.
    I disconnected the rear shock, anti-roll bar and the trailing arm and let the axle hang to remove the old spring and fit the new one. Any ideas where I have gone wrong?
    It's only a hobby!

If you are talking about the panhard rod, because you have made the gap between the bar mount and axle bigger, the bar is in effect slightly to short now, get someone to push the truck from side to side, and you shove the bolt in as the holes line up.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Cheers Tony. I'll have another go tomorrow. I was soaked through and very peed off at not being able to see.

I am in the house and theres not a beer to be had either. Mrs K is going to get the sack!
      It's only a hobby!

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Elvz.
          The springs I have fitted are Milners 20% Stronger. The part that wont line up is the horizontal rod in front of the axle. There is one each side that goes from the underside of the body to the leading edge of the axle, just behind the wheels.
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

That's odd. I bought a set of those once and if anything they were shorter than the original springs. When I fitted mine I compressed the springs before I fitted them and just unbolted the lower shock mounts and leaned on the axle to fiit them. I did the whole job on my own and I only weigh 110lbs so it doesn't require a lot of force.

Comment

Originally posted by Elvz
              That's odd. I bought a set of those once and if anything they were shorter than the original springs. When I fitted mine I compressed the springs before I fitted them and just unbolted the lower shock mounts and leaned on the axle to fiit them. I did the whole job on my own and I only weigh 110lbs so it doesn't require a lot of force.
              I got the springs in OK but because I didn't have a spring compressor I released the anti-roll bar connects. That didn't allow the axle to drop enough so I undid the bottom bolt on the shock absorber. I needed just a bit more room and undid the said item. The other side lined up with no problems - just a little bit of lifting/dropping with the jack. That's why I am so puzzled that the offside is giving me grief. Mind you it was a helluva job to get the bolt out. Maybe something is bent and the arm was the only thing holding it in position.
              It's only a hobby!

Comment

Working...
              X