Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Xenon' headlight upgrade.

Need to pick someones brains on this..

On the Jag im guessing it has cr*ppy yellow headlights.. Which i would like to upgrade to 'xenon' units.. As they are supposed to give a better light output etc etc..

I've done some browsing and most people just seem to offer bulbs for around £20 odd.

Is that just a whiteish blue bulb!? an not real xenon?

You'll have to excuse the ignorance! I aint got a damn clue

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
    Need to pick someones brains on this..

On the Jag im guessing it has cr*ppy yellow headlights.. Which i would like to upgrade to 'xenon' units.. As they are supposed to give a better light output etc etc..

I've done some browsing and most people just seem to offer bulbs for around £20 odd.

Is that just a whiteish blue bulb!? an not real xenon? Correct.

You'll have to excuse the ignorance! I aint got a damn clue
    Search for HID light kits Rod, be prepared to spend at least 100 odd quid though if you want the 'xenon' look.

What bulbs are in the Jag, H4, H7 etc...?

Comment

in short, yes. Though a decent halogen/xenon bulb should give you plenty of light so long as it's not being restricted by inefficient wiring, as is the case in the surfs, and a lot of other cars too. (yes i did read it was for the monjaguar )

If you wanna go down the full on HID route - http://www.hids4u.co.uk/ have a pretty good reputation so would make a good starting place at least.

But for £12 or so some of the halogen / xenon / 'all weather' bulbs do make a difference.
      =========
      =SOLD UP!=
      =========

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
        Search for HID light kits Rod, be prepared to spend at least 100 odd quid though if you want the 'xenon' look.

What bulbs are in the Jag, H4, H7 etc...?
        I think H7's...

£100 isn't bad. Not as great as £12 but still..
        Originally posted by nero279 View Post
        in short, yes. Though a decent halogen/xenon bulb should give you plenty of light so long as it's not being restricted by inefficient wiring, as is the case in the surfs, and a lot of other cars too. (yes i did read it was for the monjaguar )

If you wanna go down the full on HID route - http://www.hids4u.co.uk/ have a pretty good reputation so would make a good starting place at least.

But for £12 or so some of the halogen / xenon / 'all weather' bulbs do make a difference.

Whoa!! monjag?! I thought that was just the S type an X type?!

cheers for the link! I'll check it out mate.

Comment

Save your money, go to www.powerbulbs.com and get a set of Philips bulbs - they are up to 50% brighter than normal ones, and you have the option of blue if you really want it - and a pair will cost you about £25!
          Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Replaced the headlights in the truck and the corsa with Halfords extreme brilliance bulbs (they're on buy 1 get 1 free) I'm very impressed with them and do notice more light when driving at night. Only problem it makes the sidelights on the truck look dull.
            Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

I think i might just go for some posh bulbs!! The HID kit is expensive!

Comment

You could try the uprated wiring loom from a US company called 4crawler
                http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Headlights.shtml#OnLineOrderin g
                This route has been taken by many a forum member in the past so can be vouched for!
                Basically it's a plug and play headlight wiring loom -cost around $51 delivered to UK. makes a big difference to light output.
                I fitted the loom in conjunction with some 100w HID effect (blue glass) halogen lamps from ebay for about £5.
                Money well spent in my opinion.
                Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
                  Originally posted by jaky cakes View Post
                  You could try the uprated wiring loom from a US company called 4crawler
                  http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Headlights.shtml#OnLineOrderin g
                  This route has been taken by many a forum member in the past so can be vouched for!
                  On his Jag, not his Surf.
                  Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                    On his Jag, not his Surf.
                    Will this not fit his Jag?
                    At the end of the day it's only heavy gauge wire and relays.
                    Or am I missing something??

Comment

Originally posted by jaky cakes View Post
                      Will this not fit his Jag?
                      At the end of the day it's only heavy gauge wire and relays.
                      Or am I missing something??
                      H7 Lamps.
                      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by captain_chaos View Post
                        Replaced the headlights in the truck and the corsa with Halfords extreme brilliance bulbs (they're on buy 1 get 1 free) I'm very impressed with them and do notice more light when driving at night. Only problem it makes the sidelights on the truck look dull.
                        Did Exactly the same on mine recently and the difference is a vast improvement......

I know they're taken at slightly different times, so the amount of daylight is different, but you can clearly see how much brighter the new white light is as opposed to the old yellow bulbs!!!!

Alan
                        www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                          H7 Lamps.
                          Oh - I see...
                          presumably the H7 lamps are single filament and therefore the jag will have two lamps (one dipped one high beam).
                          Couldn't be that hard to adapt original bulb connectors into this type of wiring loom??
                          But, like I said earlier, it's only heavy gauge cable and relays - so for the few quid it'll cost - just cobble one together one weekend. I'm sure he'll see a marked improvment in output!
                          As a side line...if/when he does manage to make one - he could spend some time in making a "upgraded harness" type kit and flog them himself - just like mr 4crawler has done!!!

All said - without going to the expense of a pucker HID retrofit unit - you ain't gonna see a big difference in output by changing the bulbs if the original wiring is thin - the volt drop will always be there.

Before I changed my loom - I did try changing the bulbs - and although the colour of light was whiter, it still wasn't too bright - especially on dark wet roads. once I changed my loom - wow - daylight!!
                          I suppose a 55w halogen lamp is a 55w halogen lamp - no matter what exotic gas is inside or what colour the glass is - it's output will always be 55w.
                          Last edited by jaky cakes; 17 March 2009, 18:44.

Comment

Rod, Doubtless there's a million different high output bulbs around BUT ....

I've been using Osram NightBreakers in my Focus and as well as being whiter with more light they have a wider spread too. They're great when I'm hooning around the lanes on my way to work at dark o'clock in the morning cos I can see what's in the edges !

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

HID needs headlamp washers to be legal... dunno why it makes a difference??
                              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
                              X