things to check when buying 2nd hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• things to check when buying 2nd hand

so as a mentioned before, i'm going to see this surf tomorrow afternoon. can anyone give me a few ideas of points to check for that are particular to the surf?
    i know about the head on the 2.4, and the obvious things that apply to all 4x4s; but anything else would be appreciated.

Originally posted by troyxharder
    so as a mentioned before, i'm going to see this surf tomorrow afternoon. can anyone give me a few ideas of points to check for that are particular to the surf?
    i know about the head on the 2.4, and the obvious things that apply to all 4x4s; but anything else would be appreciated.
    They are not undersealed at all, so it needs to be done. Waxoyl is good and pretty simple to use, see if he will throw it in if it hasn't been done. If its been in this country for some time and well used with no underseal walkaway.
    Take it for a drive, hardfull lock both way see if it makes a noise if it does use as bargining tool (its only the steering stops) press button on drivers door panel to lock windows then complain the rear window only opens from the key or unseat the rear wiper and say the window don't work at all.
    Put both heaters (if fitted) on hot make sure both blow hot, try the cd & radio (if still standard) and complain they dont work properly.
    Take for a good long drive then check expansion bottle isn't overflowing, check tyres, see if steering pulls or wobbles.
    Ask about cam belt, when was it changed if it has been get him to put it in writing, if not use one of the aboce failures to bargin it getting done.
    Check under rear seat for bottle jack and extension bar, tool kit usually in one of the cubby holes in the rear. Check spare if underslung make sure it winds down ok.
    Theres a start for you
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Surf radiators are not very well made and leaks are common. Look at the top tank and if you see any pin holes or water stains ask for the radiator to be replaced. It's usually not possible to repair them and a new radiator is the only real cure.

If you see any reddish stains or dust on the engine itself or inside of the engine bay the car has overheated at some time and you should not even think about buying it unless the owner has a receipt for a newly fitted cylinder head

Check that all the windows operate smoothly and close against the seals - Windows that don't quite close are a very common fault.

Check that the rear window goes up and down at the same speed all the way up and down. If the speed varies or the window goes slower in one direction there is a developing fault.

If the car has a sunroof take it somewhere that has a jet wash, get the roof really wet and see if the headlining gets wet because if the sunroof leaks it is a major job to fix.

A new electric aerial costs over £100 so make sure its working.

Check that the door mirror frames have no cracks - they're alloy and they crack across the base if you bash things with them. A new mirror assembly is very expensive and it is not the same as the Hilux pickup ones.

All these things are expensive and annoying faults that you can avoid if you know about them.

Comment

Working...
      X