Deathrattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deathrattle

No, not a Metallica tribute band, but the sound my truck's making lately.

I'm new to diesels, so bear with me. Over the past few days, ive been getting, (for want of a better way of putting it) a very loud metal woodpecker, just for a second on start up. (I'm sure you get the idea)
    And it's 50/50 whether it happens. Sometimes - nothing.

Now, ive heard this on diesels before, but mine never used to do it, which is making me wonder.
    Is it running dry till it picks oil up? or is it a combustion thing?
    Ultimately... is it something to worry about?

P.S runs spot on, oil pressure ok etc. All is as it should be.

If it is literally one second on start up, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're worried that it could be a lube issue, change the oil and filter every 3 months to put your mind at ease.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmcqcVq9DJg

Comment

Change oil and filter every 3000mls without fail.
        A few bits and pieces are held together with mud, but oil's one of the things that get the religious treatment.

Comment

Are you suggesting i just turn the music up so i cant hear the rattle?

Come to think of it, the rattle didnt seam so loud since i got back from metallica!

Comment

if its only for a few seconds i wouldnt worry about it,could be diesel knock from cold start up.
            www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by blakarm View Post
              Are you suggesting i just turn the music up so i cant hear the rattle?

Come to think of it, the rattle didnt seam so loud since i got back from metallica!
              Hey! If turning up the music works...

Comment

Try the simple stuff first.

It could be the exhaust rattling against the underside of the body or the rear bumper....that creates a loud metal woodpecker noise... have a look and see how near your tail pipe is to the rear bumper.

good luck.

Comment

Try using 15w40 semi-synthetic engine oil the next time. It seems to stop rattling from start up.

Comment

Originally posted by Ava_Banana View Post
                    It could be the exhaust rattling against the underside of the body or the rear bumper....that creates a loud metal woodpecker noise... have a look and see how near your tail pipe is to the rear bumper.
                    Deffo the motor. Its not the exhaust, cos ive moded it, and its nowhere near anything.
                    Not the rear bumper either.. i aint got one.

Comment

I would as a precaution take off the rocker cover and check to see that none of the valve adjusting shims are loose or breaking up. The only reason I say this is because I ignored a sound like this on mine and dropped a valve cos the shim broke up and fell out, valve rattled itself to pieces, broke and then dropped down and destroyed a piston. Was a costly and timely mistake - new head, gaskets, piston (no 2), big end bearings and a lot of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                        Try using 15w40 semi-synthetic engine oil the next time. It seems to stop rattling from start up.
                        I use exactly that every time, so thats that one.

Comment

to me thats sounds like pump timing is out,if its a real loud metallic rattle

Comment

sticking injector, put a new fuel filter on and fill it with redex and blast it, or go down to quater of a tank put a full big bottle of redex in turn the od off and drive like youve knicked it for a bit
                            SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by lucky View Post
                              I would as a precaution take off the rocker cover and check to see that none of the valve adjusting shims are loose or breaking up. The only reason I say this is because I ignored a sound like this on mine and dropped a valve cos the shim broke up and fell out, valve rattled itself to pieces, broke and then dropped down and destroyed a piston. Was a costly and timely mistake - new head, gaskets, piston (no 2), big end bearings and a lot of time.
                              Cheers for putting the sh1ts up us!

Clearances need checking anyway. i'll 'av a look.

Comment

Working...
                              X