aaaagh!! I give up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aaaagh!! I give up.

My son needed a car after being made redundant and loosing his company one, so big hearted me (after he had got a job that requires commuting) let him have my car for which he has to pay me (trade in price) and bought the Surf. He has always liked the Saab and would drive it on any excuse
    This was on the understanding that we would swap cars when I wanted to make my twice yearly trip to Belgium.
    He now tells me that he wants to get a Surf. This defeats the object of my cunning plan to let me have a 4x4 and still have the use of the Saab for long fast trips. Lets be honest as good as the Surf is it wont cruise at 80 to 90 and return 35+ mpg.
    I can understand why he fancies a Surf especialy with his hobby of photography, he can easily take it where he wouldn.t dare take the Saab.
    Why is it whenever I have something start to come together it goes tits up?
    I've taken a vow of poverty To anoy me send money

Share both cars?
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

You should have got him to sign a contract.

Comment

I,ve tried that before admittedly not with my son but it diddn,t work we both wanted the same car at the same time. Sods law in full operation.

Comment

Get another Surf you know you want to ! just another car to clutter up the front of the house ! or park it on top of 'those neighbours' you could then leave your fishing gear in all the time !
          any more excuses ?
          Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

Just curious.....
            Why do you want to cruise at 80 – 90 when the UK limit is 70 mph and the Belgium limit is 74.5 mph. I could understand it if you where travelling in Germany.
            Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

From what I now know...he drives a lot faster than that !

Comment

Originally posted by PDR View Post
                Just curious.....
                Why do you want to cruise at 80 – 90 when the UK limit is 70 mph and the Belgium limit is 74.5 mph. I could understand it if you where travelling in Germany.
                a valid point... but your wasting your breath mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Brummie View Post
                  My son needed a car after being made redundant and loosing his company one, so big hearted me (after he had got a job that requires commuting) let him have my car for which he has to pay me (trade in price) and bought the Surf. He has always liked the Saab and would drive it on any excuse
                  This was on the understanding that we would swap cars when I wanted to make my twice yearly trip to Belgium.
                  He now tells me that he wants to get a Surf. This defeats the object of my cunning plan to let me have a 4x4 and still have the use of the Saab for long fast trips. Lets be honest as good as the Surf is it wont cruise at 80 to 90 and return 35+ mpg.
                  I can understand why he fancies a Surf especialy with his hobby of photography, he can easily take it where he wouldn.t dare take the Saab.
                  Why is it whenever I have something start to come together it goes tits up?
                  I'd wait an see what his insurance qoute is like before you start worrying to much

Comment

The Saab is definitely going the turbo is on its way out. fcuking thing. We are now looking for a nice Surf at a stealer where we can part-shop the Saab. We,ve got no concience where a stealer is concerned but wouldnt want to flog it to a punter

Comment

Just curious.....

Some of us like to make our own calculated risks.

Comment

Just curious.....
                        Probably the same reason some people buy gas guzzling underpowered v6 petrols......we all do crazy things
                        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Hmmm,
                          1. the V6 engine may be “underpowered” compared to some other petrol V6’s but I still have more power than any 2nd gen diesel. A lot quieter and smoother running as well.
                          2. Petro is cheaper than diesel.
                          3. I don’t do a high mileage
                          4. I can easily afford the cost of the fuel
                          5. I set the cruise control @ 70mph and stay legal.
                          6. I need and use the full carrying capacity of my truck most weekends.

I can’t see anything crazy in that.

As regards speeding, I know something like 50% of all drivers break the speed limit on motorways but that does not make it acceptable or legal. The Government are now considering lowering the national speed limit for single lane (“A” Road) to 50 mph. Once the new average speed/distance cameras take over I’m sure that speeding will become far less prevalent.
                          Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Great a 50mph speed limit will mean greater fuel consumption for a lot of cars, Surfs included. So much for a Green government
                            As far as the average speed cameras are concerned they are just a way of taxing the motorist. Speed itself does not kill. Governments own figures show that only 3% of all fatal road accidents were caused by excess speed. Its speed in the wrong places like past schools and in built-up areas that kills.

Comment

So you getting a 3rd Gen then ?

Comment

Working...
                              X