Speeding Fine NIP very late

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speeding Fine NIP very late

In southampton there's a lovely wide dual carriage way that has a 30mph speed limit. Unfortunately I was caught on camera doing 35. I've received a NIP, Notice of Indended Prosecution, and was about to fill it ii when I saw the date of the offense; 02 Jan 09. Looking at the DVLA website they say that this NIP must be received within 14 days of the alleged offense.
    This is over 6 weeks and the NIP was only posted 6/3/09.
    What is it that I should do now?
    I can't contact the w@nkers that operate these cameras until Monday, what do I say to them?

it will have to be copyed and a letter wrote to them
    everything has to be in wrighting
    iam going through a 80 quid fine off the dvla for a car i have not owned for 3 years
    all they say on the phone is put it in wrighting

and dvla will take it from the date it was sent out? is that old too
    not heard of the 14 day thing my self
    am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

As long as both the offence date and NIP post date are documented you have nothing to worry about. Just point out what their website states and ask them politely if they think they can still issue the NIP.

Easy pickings us motorists - install a few cameras and sit back and wait for the cheques to come in.
      I live near a pub, and for months a certain gentleman has parked his car in an alley near my house then goes off to get tanked up in the pub. a few hours later he will return to his "hidden" car and drive home. He uses three different cars to avoid detection. some of my neighbours have reported him to the police several times - but they say it's hard to catch a drink driver????
      makes my blood boil
      Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Its probably one thats just slipped out.

They said the other day that the new speed limit signs weren't correctly positioned. Most people didn't know it was a 30 instead of the 50 as per the norm so there was talk of handing back all the money from those fined.

Comment

yeh write to them with copies and a print out from the site u shud get away with it...

good luck
          One day at the time I guess..

Comment

Does anyone know if it the same when you get pulled in for speeding??I had a similar run in with our pals in December and only received notice two weeks ago!!

Comment

Originally posted by langtounboy View Post
              In southampton there's a lovely wide dual carriage way that has a 30mph speed limit. Unfortunately I was caught on camera doing 35. I've received a NIP, Notice of Indended Prosecution, and was about to fill it ii when I saw the date of the offense; 02 Jan 09. Looking at the DVLA website they say that this NIP must be received within 14 days of the alleged offense.
              This is over 6 weeks and the NIP was only posted 6/3/09.
              What is it that I should do now?
              I can't contact the w@nkers that operate these cameras until Monday, what do I say to them?
              You should ask this on peepipoo.co.uk. They will give you proper advice on fighting this.

Comment

The 14 day thing means that the person has to be informed of the NIP within 14 days of the incident. HOWEVER it has been held in court that if it is posted registered mail to the last known address of the registered keeper within the 14 days then it stands. If it is posted outside the the 14 days then the NIP should not be given. I'm not saying there aren't other ways round it in order to bring about a prosecution but generally if it is an NIP and it is outsde the time limit then it don't count. However as the above have pointed out you need to write with copies to the council or whoever they belong to.
                Last thing you want is a summons dropping through the letter box.
                Member of the 115,000k club

Comment

Working...
                X