Hi and advice on which gen please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi and advice on which gen please!

Hi everybody, I'm Mark also known as Macca.

I've decided to take the plunge and buy the Surf that I've wanted for ages. I've currently got a 1994 Supra TT and a 2003 Ford Mondeo TDCi (hateful car).

I'm getting rid of the Mondeo and figure I might get something more fun to replace it and also have some more of the Mr T reliability that I've grown to know and love. After all, the Surf is still practical.. Some would say even more practical as you don't have to stick to roads

I'm looking at spending £2.5-3k so was thinking of a 3rd gen, they are slightly newer and people seem to be getting a few more MPG out of them than the third gens so seems like a good idea.
    I want an auto and to keep away from the 2.4. I'll also look at doing a bit of a lift and putting some slightly chunkier tyres on it at some point, hopefully with a view to having a go at attacking some fields etc.

I've seen the hairdresser comments lol.. So can anybody explain why and what the differences are??

Cheers,

Mark.

Hi, just a quick bump as I think this fell down the list while it was waiting to be moderated!

Comment

Hi Mark,

I think basically the differences are that the 3rd gen has a centre diff, so it can use 4wd on tarmac, it has ABS and airbags, a plasticier look to the bumpers (i.e. they don't rust out!!), a slightly more modern appearance to the shape, a lift-up rather than a drop-down tailgate and, as you mentioned, better mpg. It will also have a 3.0L engine, as the 2.4 was dropped from around 93 on, and some will have an intercooler fitted. Spec levels remain the same as 2nd gen, i.e. anything goes depending on what options the original owner in Japan decided to add to the basic spec.

Hope that helps.
      Mike G

Comment

3rd gen also has coils on the front not torsion bars like a 2nd gen.
        3rd has a differant steering set up as well.

I have owned a 2nd gen lifted 6" running 33" muds. Its was seriously used and abused off roadat least one weekend every month and took me to work every Monday. 3 yrs on it was sold to a member here and is still going strong.

I now own a 3rd gen standard, as it's used as a tow truck for my wee zuki toy.

No matter what one you get you will love it.

Price Standard 3.0ltr 2nd gen £1500 will get a lovely one.
        3rd gen £2500 will get a perfect example.

A 5" lift on a 2nd gen will take one day and cost £350
        x4 +3" shoxs £200
        LC rear sprigs £50
        2" body lift kit £100
        then another 300 to 600 dependng on what tyres you buy

Hope his helps
        Brian

Comment

Thanks guys, really helpful answers!

I had a look at rough trax and they do a 2" lift kit for the 3rd gen, so with the 2" blocks from the guy on this forum you're looking around £450 all in I suppose? Are the lift blocks the same for both gens?

For bigger tyres will I have to buy bigger wheels? I take it I can go up to a certain size on the standard ones?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I know what I'm doing and what I'm spending my money on! I wish I'd done more research before buying the Mondeo as it's cost me a fortune keep going wrong

Been keeping an eye out for 3rd gens but there doesn't seem to be anywhere near as many as the 2nd gens about!

Comment

if you want a 3rd gen have a look at this one just recently put up for sale.
            its a lovely example!
            http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=53203
            most people go for 2nd gens for going off roading more than the 3rd gen as the 3rd gens are newer and people dont wana scratch the paint on them. lol

Comment

Originally posted by goodcat View Post
              most people go for 2nd gens for going off roading more than the 3rd gen as the 3rd gens are newer and people dont wana scratch the paint on them. lol
              Sod the paint, it's going to be covered in mud most of the time anyway!

Comment

good man! did you have a look at that link i gave you?
                its a nice truck!

Comment

Originally posted by goodcat View Post
                  good man! did you have a look at that link i gave you?
                  its a nice truck!
                  Yeh, I spotted it earlier and posted on it to ask about the tax. Does look a nice example. Shame it's the other end of the country so not easy to pop to for a quick look!

Needs a spare wheel carrier on the boot and not underneath and something on the front to make it look a bit beefier!

Comment

If you get a 3rd gen ....check all the curling tongs and hair driers work ok ..........

a late 2nd gen or a 3rd gen fits into your price range , there is more mods available for the 2nd gen though .......

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm
                    ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Originally posted by BioHazard View Post
                      If you get a 3rd gen ....check all the curling tongs and hair driers work ok ..........
                      LOL.. What is the thing about them being hairdressers cars? It's not like it's an MR2! Is it just the owners don't like to get them dirty? I remember similar conversations on the GT-Four forums a few years ago..

a late 2nd gen or a 3rd gen fits into your price range , there is more mods available for the 2nd gen though .......

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm
                      What kind of mods might I be missing out on with a 3nd gen? As long as I can lift it and get nice tyres on it I don't think I'll want much else. Anything interior I can do myself, and I have a very good welder who could probably make up bars and things..

Comment

take no notice of the cavemen in 2nd gens , 3rd gens do offroading better than 2nd gens, you can get the lifts , snorkels , bigger tyres etc so go with your choice , i had a 2nd gen and prefer the 3rd
                        Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Originally posted by joker?? View Post
                          take no notice of the cavemen in 2nd gens , 3rd gens do offroading better than 2nd gens, you can get the lifts , snorkels , bigger tyres etc so go with your choice , i had a 2nd gen and prefer the 3rd
                          LOL.. I think I'm going to like this forum Nice friendly banter!

Been looking about some more and the prices do vary, stealers seem to think they're worth about double of the private ads. Typical.

Very nice one on eBay at the moment but I think it'll be gone by the time I sell the Mondeo

Comment

Originally posted by i-macca View Post
                            LOL.. I think I'm going to like this forum Nice friendly banter!

Been looking about some more and the prices do vary, stealers seem to think they're worth about double of the private ads. Typical.

Very nice one on eBay at the moment but I think it'll be gone by the time I sell the Mondeo
                            dont worry mate more will come up ,paid £2800 for mine about a year ago, normal price was about £3600, dont jump in the first one you see and buy it [unless its perfect ]drive a few to see how they are .
                            Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Originally posted by joker?? View Post
                              dont worry mate more will come up ,paid £2800 for mine about a year ago, normal price was about £3600, dont jump in the first one you see and buy it [unless its perfect ]drive a few to see how they are .
                              Yeh, will do, good advice thanks.

I've driven a 2nd gen a few years ago, 3.0litre auto at a local dodgy garage. I absolutely loved it and have wanted one ever since. Being a bit of a tart I like the 3rd gen a little more, just a few little things, like the boot lid, interior (doesn't look like it's lifted from a Mk3 Supra) and the extra MPG is appealing too!

Looking forward to having a go at some off-roading though a little bit daunted by it all as I've never done anything like it before.

Can anybody tell me what these manual hubs are? I've searched and read but can't make it out?

Comment

Working...
                              X