rear window help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear window help

Yes I know I should be using the search function - but alas - my PC's urgency sensor has overloaded again.
    My rear window has just stopped going down tonight - just when i REALLY need to use the boot area. relay in tailgate is clicking but glass will not move. interior cabin lights dim when trying key/rocker switch so i presume motor is drawing some current from batteries. have tried to help the glass down with a glaziers suction clamp but no joy.
    any ideas??

My PC can detect when i'm in a hurry and will throw up spurious faults/error when it senses urgency. for example the printer will not detect any paper present when needing to print something off quickly - or internet pages (this sites search page) will not be available try again etc etc...bugger
    Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

I'm suffering from a similar problem. I've had the interior of the rear door off and it works perfectly, then I put it back together and NOTHING!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by beverley68 View Post
      I'm suffering from a similar problem. I've had the interior of the rear door off and it works perfectly, then I put it back together and NOTHING!!!!!
      That sounds like a connection problem - possibly trapping a cable or moving a break in the cable when door card replaced??

Comment

your motor will be knackered,i had exactly same prob,get a replacement from sumone like stormforce,then get in boot remove panels,then motor,drop glass,crawl out and replace with new motor

Comment

Originally posted by beverley68 View Post
          take panels off and wiggle wires,u have either a bad connection,or broken wire

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
            your motor will be knackered,i had exactly same prob,get a replacement from sumone like stormforce,then get in boot remove panels,then motor,drop glass,crawl out and replace with new motor

This happened a while ago also - after window had not been used for a week or so - i managed to force window away from seals and all worked great for a few months but this time it has died. Is there a seperate fuse for the power to the motor and another that feeds the controls ie switch/relays etc??

Comment

Originally posted by jaky cakes View Post
              This happened a while ago also - after window had not been used for a week or so - i managed to force window away from seals and all worked great for a few months but this time it has died. Is there a seperate fuse for the power to the motor and another that feeds the controls ie switch/relays etc??
              im pretty sure there is but ive never had cause to look for it,and mine was identical to yours,click and lights dim,ie motor trying to work,may be muck in the window runners?but u will still need to disconnect motor anyways,once all bolts out,try the motor,see if it turns

Comment

Originally posted by jaky cakes View Post
                Yes I know I should be using the search function - but alas - my PC's urgency sensor has overloaded again.
                My rear window has just stopped going down tonight - just when i REALLY need to use the boot area. relay in tailgate is clicking but glass will not move. interior cabin lights dim when trying key/rocker switch so i presume motor is drawing some current from batteries. have tried to help the glass down with a glaziers suction clamp but no joy.
                any ideas??

My PC can detect when i'm in a hurry and will throw up spurious faults/error when it senses urgency. for example the printer will not detect any paper present when needing to print something off quickly - or internet pages (this sites search page) will not be available try again etc etc...bugger
                Long shot, but check the rear wiper arm is properly parked. If not it will stop the window going down.Happened to me a few times when not used for a while.
                Trust your Hound.

Comment

You could try giving the window lock button a press or two. Mine did the same thing a year or two back, appears that I must have hit the button and not realised. On the other hand could well be the motor or the gearing may need a bit of oil. Haven't been able to open my tailgate window for ages. Had a brake light go off just before MOT and it took me about an hour and a half to change it. Must fix the ruddy window soon

Spoggle

Comment

sorted!! thanks to all for advice!
                    Big thanks to head torches and gas powered soldering irons!!
                    removed door card and found motor connector - unplugged and tested for power present - ok. so motor n/g. removed motor and tested on spare battery - motor ok??? then noticed water dripping down my wrist from motor housing!
                    I swapped the motor a few years ago - but used a motor from the non correct door ie had to mount it 180' out of position. this appears to be the problem and possible a warning to all others who intend to fit the motor in the wrong orientation.
                    When the tail gate is shut the motor is in a vertical position. with a correct motor fitted the actual motor part of the assembly is at the top, however with a motor of the wrong orientation is fitted- the motor part is at the bottom - and can and will collect and hold water / condensation in the motor windings - shorting out at the least convienient moment. If the correct motor is fitted, the motor part is at the top so all water/condensation will not enter windings and drip downwards towards bottom of tailgate.
                    Lukily I had a spare motor housing of the correct type - so simply swapped all gearing over to the spare unit, soldered on original plug, packed with grease and refitted. Now all ok.
                    So the moral of the story....don't be tempted to fitted wrong motor - it will fit and work for a while - but each time it rains - your motor may fill with water - and eventually corrode the wire windings wrecking the motor.

Comment

Working...
                    X