Timing belt Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing belt Change

There i was cruising down the A19 at a stately 50mph, looked down at the odometer just as it went over to 100,000 kms and then the timing belt warning light came on!

any ideas on a ball park price for fit and supply of new belt ?

do I need to be worried ?
    Death rides a Black Horse

just done mine after it snapped ,,,,belt was 18 quid and after replacing all the valves ect it took me about 6 hours

Comment

The belt can be changed within an hour if that helps.

Comment

dont drive it, trust me on this, if it snaps you are in deep pooh, get it transported to a garage if you are'nt gonna do it yourself, mine snapped and the final bill was £921 sqiuids, no fecking warning either, if it wasnt for Biohazard selling me a new head with all the bits the bill would have been even more!

---

Comment

Originally posted by John h View Post
          There i was cruising down the A19 at a stately 50mph, looked down at the odometer just as it went over to 100,000 kms and then the timing belt warning light came on!

Not an expensive job, about £60 for the fitting, thats cam belt, fan belt, alternator belt & air con belt.

Its best to get the lot done, piece of mind for another 100,000kms.

If i were you i would provide the belts myself & make sure you buy a genuine toyota cam belt, that way you know its right.

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=11&cid=620
          If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by John h View Post

You can get a complete kit including a replacement tensioner and pulley for £95 plus vat and postage from roughtrax for the 2nd gen. Think it should be the same for your 3rd gen as well. Then all you need to do is fit it yourself or get a garage to do it for you

Comment

Thanks Guys !

Booked in at Autoserv Selby Friday morning £90 all in and a genuine Toyota belt

am driving very carefully, Charlie looked under the bonnet give it the once over and said just be careful, i did think about the nice 4th gen he had in but it appears to be owned by someone from York, so I put a Surf card on the driving seat you never know they may visit ??

Comment

Originally posted by Gaspode View Post
                dont drive it, trust me on this, if it snaps you are in deep pooh, get it transported to a garage if you are'nt gonna do it yourself, mine snapped and the final bill was £921 sqiuids, no fecking warning either, if it wasnt for Biohazard selling me a new head with all the bits the bill would have been even more!

---
                ffs calm down, it's a warning light to tell you it's due a change. Not an alarm bell telling you it will snap in 10 9 8 7 6..........

You will be fine driving it, the light just means change it in the next few thousand km
                Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                  ffs calm down, it's a warning light to tell you it's due a change. Not an alarm bell telling you it will snap in 10 9 8 7 6..........

You will be fine driving it, the light just means change it in the next few thousand km

Yeah, what he said.
                  Jeez!

Comment

...assuming its even been reset right, and the mileage unmolested.

I didn't want to cause ruptions but seeing as soemone brought it up.....

The light is triggered only by the odometer, Toyota will have built a HUUGGGGGEEE safety margin into the 100,000km's life of the belt, don't sweat it, do it as soon as conveinent.

(you watch it break now.... )
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I remember when you changed mine Tony, the old belt still looked like new

Hows the building going ?
                      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                        ...assuming its even been reset right, and the mileage unmolested.

I didn't want to cause ruptions but seeing as soemone brought it up.....

The light is triggered only by the odometer, Toyota will have built a HUUGGGGGEEE safety margin into the 100,000km's life of the belt, don't sweat it, do it as soon as conveinent.

(you watch it break now.... )
                        Thanks Tony for your vote of confidence ! 100300kms later ??? must admit I have had a look on the for sale section for a second surf though.. my niece took the workshop one to france so I won't see that again !

Comment

Does the 2nd gen have a cam belt warning light?

Comment

Originally posted by Pennine View Post
                            Does the 2nd gen have a cam belt warning light?
                            Yes,and the re-set button is behind the little rubber bung in the speedo face.

Comment

£85. and all done including new belt for the air con !

And I have my Silver Star !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X