No announcement yet.

Ecd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So you've been messing with the gearbox control already have you?

Be careful, ECUs aint cheap!
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
      Not really, but the ECU will re-set itself every time you start the engine.
      So is this not just a simple way to reset your ECU? Remove a fuse and start the engine, or have i miss-understood whats been said?
      Surfin on the tidal waves of mud!

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post

Shh, don't tell him that, I got an ecu on ebay now
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post

Have indeed, with some success protecting myself with plenty of diodes, but managed to test the wrong pin... Delayed till tomorrow now, but luckily no real harm done!
          Andy
          http://www.surfingafrica.net

Comment

Originally posted by YoungOffroader View Post
            So is this not just a simple way to reset your ECU? Remove a fuse and start the engine, or have i miss-understood whats been said?
            Yeah, just pull the relay. There's a fuse for the ECU/ign in the fuse box by the right kick panel on the 2.4.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              Yeah, just pull the relay. There's a fuse for the ECU/ign in the fuse box by the right kick panel on the 2.4.
              saves having to reset my radios clock then. i always have to try and find the manual when that needs doing.
              Surfin on the tidal waves of mud!

Comment

I found this thread while I was trying to find out what ECD was, as the relay was one of the things that was disturbed when my 1993 2nd gen died. A reconditioned ECU only partly cured the problem, so I'm eliminating things one by one before I reject the ECU again.

I've got the Max Ellery manual, but on its own it's not much help. There is one diagram to cover every Surf / 4Runner model and option, including both diesel and petrol engines. However, A quick Google search suggests Electronically Controlled Diesel might be what ECD stands for. It's the acronym favoured by Denso, who make the system fitted to the 1KZ-TE 3.0l engines.

The wiring diagram seems to confirm this, showing a 15A fuse supplying the "EFI" relay. However, the diagram doesn't show WHERE the fuse lives. As Bushwacker pointed out, there's a 20A fuse labelled "ECU Ign" in the fuse panel in the right-hand footwell. On my truck, there's another fuse and relay labelled "ECD" under the bonnet in the fuse box behind the right-hand battery.

This is only a guess, but maybe the fuse in the footwell is to isolate whatever ECU is fitted to the vehicle, regardless of engine, and the one under the bonnet is specific to the Denso injection system.
                Last edited by Funky; 7 January 2010, 23:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Funky View Post
                  A quick Google search suggests Electronically Controlled Diesel is probably what ECD stands for. It's the acronym favoured by Denso, who make the system fitted to the 1KZ-TE 3.0l engines.
                  Correct. Parts included in this section of the EPC include the ECU, Turbo pressure Sensor, Throttle position Sensor etc.

Nev

Comment

Would one of the etceteras be a temperature sensor by any chance, which could perhaps be fooling my ECU into delivering too little fuel on engine start? If so, where is it located? The Wiring diagram mentions a water temp sensor on the Emission Control Computer (whatever that is, probably inside the ECU) but I don't know where to look.

Comment

i have a 2.4 ecu on ebay at the moment if you need to try another im only down the road from you.

Comment

Thanks for the offer, but mine's a three litre and the ECU is different. The reconditioned ECU is under warranty, so I can sent it back, it's just the inconvenience of blagging lifts to work for a week.

Just out of idle curiosity I pulled out the ECD fuse under the bonnet, and as the OP mentioned, the engine started and ran. No idea what the fuse is for, but if you pull the relay out, the engine stops. Probably shouldn't have done that really! If the fuse is just for the supply to hold the codes in the ECU, why does it need a 15A fuse?!

Anyhow, curiosity aside, I think I can rule this out as a possible cause of difficulty starting.
                        Last edited by Funky; 9 January 2010, 12:32.

Comment

Working...
                        X